just an idea - Rolling Road Table for BHP & Torque ?

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CosmosblueMR2

just an idea - Rolling Road Table for BHP & Torque ?

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

As above really - I see we have a 1/4 mile table..

how about the same sort of thing for BHP and Torque ? (RR Table)

I appreciate results differ from one rolling road to the next but it's just an idea.. interested if the admin or anyone else for that matter has any thoughts on this idea ? :oops:

cheers ! 8)
poyntesm

Re: just an idea - Rolling Road Table for BHP & Torque ?

Post by poyntesm »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:As above really - I see we have a 1/4 mile table..

how about the same sort of thing for BHP and Torque ? (RR Table)

I appreciate results differ from one rolling road to the next but it's just an idea.. interested if the admin or anyone else for that matter has any thoughts on this idea ? :oops:

cheers ! 8)

Ummmm.....we are replacing the whole car part of the profile section and the 1/4 mile table will be built into the new system, once I start the 1/4 mile table of the new code I will try do this...

What fields would we need in your opinion?? Just BHP and torque? AFR? Should have the code ready for a public test pretty soon.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

poyntesm wrote:

What fields would we need in your opinion?? Just BHP and torque? AFR? Should have the code ready for a public test pretty soon.

don't ask me - i'm just a newbie ! (wonder how long i can get away with that ! :lol: )

Seriously though how about a poll ?... see if people think it's a good idea / workable and what fields / data should be on the "table"

I'm sure those in the know will have more answers than me (there I go again ! excuses excuses ! :D

I'm just chuffed to be honest that my idea might even be taken forward ! - I feel humble ! :oops: :D
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Every idea given is noted and taken forward if it makes sense...some take time to get round to... main problem is at the moment I am developing what is a huge mod for the whole car profile system. It is taking ages to do but will be worth it.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

look forward to that then .. just wanna express my thanks for creating and mainting such a good site - :D

it makes such a difference owning a car with such a support network behind it !! :D
Last edited by CosmosblueMR2 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Ideally you need various figures not just bhp and torque

Of the top of my head...

Wheel BHP
Wheel Torque
Hub BHP
Hub Torque
Flywheel BHP
Flywheel Torque
Dyno Center

Still makes a table a PITA though, since how are you supposed to compare hub torque against a thoeretical flywheel torque calculated by the rolling road?

Maybe a few buttons to change the sort order of the table?
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
JJ

Post by JJ »

@ what boost would be a gooden, nitrous or not - then quantity - 50 shot / 75 shot.

Then you can see the liars out there that claim 300 RWBHP at 10 psi on a CT-26 turbo !!! :lol: unless theres a big shot of nitrous going in there too ! :shock: :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Right em coming...I will start to add the 1/4 related stuff to the new system in the next few days...so the more I get in at the start the more complete it will be...
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm curious as I've never been to a rolling road before: do you get readings of the altitude of the RR and the atmospheric pressure when having your car rollered?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that these two affect the result, but (obviously) have no idea of their relevance in RR results.

Or shall I get me coat?! :D
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Taxi for Nige ! =D>

teehee :D
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Nige wrote:I'm curious as I've never been to a rolling road before: do you get readings of the altitude of the RR and the atmospheric pressure when having your car rollered?

Hmm, not that I can remember Nige. You get a piece of paper to sign to say if the rolling road company should blow your car up on the dyno, they will not be held accountable.
If you don't sign, the car doesn't go on the rollers - which is nice.

:roll:
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Oh okay... :) It was a long day yesterday!

I'm sure that altitude would affect the results, though, due to air density. A car tested at sea level is going to have a different output to an identical one tested at 1000 ft (i.e. a mountain-based RR :D ).

"Taxi!" :D
jonno

Post by jonno »

Most good dyno's take atmospheric conditions into account, including altitude and ambient air temp when they calculate the power figures.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

jonno wrote:Most good dyno's take atmospheric conditions into account, including altitude and ambient air temp when they calculate the power figures.

Yep, and they can compensate for these so if you're doing a few modifications to your car, and you want to do comparative runs, they can compensate and overlay the results.

Difference between a cold and hot day, and high and low pressure can be 3-5 bhp on a 140bhp engine - fairly much lost in the 'error' bound for a dyno IMO.
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

jonno wrote:Ideally you need various figures not just bhp and torque

Of the top of my head...

Wheel BHP
Wheel Torque
Hub BHP
Hub Torque
Flywheel BHP
Flywheel Torque
Dyno Center

Still makes a table a PITA though, since how are you supposed to compare hub torque against a thoeretical flywheel torque calculated by the rolling road?

Maybe a few buttons to change the sort order of the table?

Most rolling roads only give you guestimates of flywheel figures so that info won't be available for all. Ditto things like ambient temps etc etc etc. It would be good to capture the ATW figures for those that can supply it though, but you should avoid too many fields that will just be left empty.

Something else you should capture is the rev point at which the peak figure is gained. Ie 200 BHP at 6700rpm or whatever.
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Right people,

Started work on the quartermile and rolling road section of the new garage mod today.

See http://www.13awingfield.com/imoc/forums ... ollingroad

What do you think. Do we need to allow users enter multiple types of BHP and Torque.

The image upload is for the slip..proving the you walk the walk and not just talk the talk!!

Regards
Esmond
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

This is now live...

Return to “Club News and Announcements”