Best value manifold: Che?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smith123

Best value manifold: Che?

Post by smith123 »

Having owned my mr2 for a few months I have decided to get a performance manifold as I don't want the pre-cats breaking up and I'm after a few more bhp. Since I’m on a bit of a budget is the CHE manifold the best value for money? I'm not sure I want to risk a 'no name' one on ebay.

Cheers Jeremy
Ekona

Re: Best value manifold: Che?

Post by Ekona »

The no-name brands on eBay are the Che manifold too ;)

Personally I wouldn't bother, as the BHP increase is utterly minimal if there at all. Just gut your existing manifold and spend what you were going to on a front strut brace (if you don't have one already) or some kind of underbody bracing (like a TTE turbo-style one or a Corky's brace), that'll make much more of a difference to the car than an single extra horse power will.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Interesting you say that mate, as the racing MR2 Roadsters are now all using the copy manifold off ebay, and I am told are reporting a definite increase in power. I just bought one too, so look forward to doing a before and after comparison!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

You'll notice the power more because of zero precats, rather than the manifold itself. Gutting the precats in the stock manifold frees the engine up a fair bit, and was what myself and Mark are planning to do with our racecar (should we ever get it finished!).
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Get on with it!!! We want to see you out there. :mrgreen:

My manifold is indeed already decatted, so will be interesting to see.
smith123

Post by smith123 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Interesting you say that mate, as the racing MR2 Roadsters are now all using the copy manifold off ebay, and I am told are reporting a definite increase in power. I just bought one too, so look forward to doing a before and after comparison!

How much did you pay for yours? They seem to be about £140 on ebay which is probably what most garages would charge to remove the precats from a standard manifold anyway.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

£129 plus £8 postage. There is a supplier from the States doing them for £70 and promising no VAT on delivery mind.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Got mine for £150 around two years back. Not sure if it made a difference as I have the usual o2 sensor problem :)
smith123

Post by smith123 »

Managed to get a new one on ebay last night for £111.50 including postage :D

What are the gaskets like that come with it, should I use them or get ones from Toyota?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Definitely get new ones from Toyota. For the couple of quid they want for them, it's not worth the hassle given that I've heard a billion and one stories about the supplied gaskets leaking. That's for all three gaskets, the metal one between manifold and block and the two between manifold and cat.
smith123

Post by smith123 »

Ok thanks I'll do that. Is it quite easy to fit? (it took me 18 hours to change the springs on my old mk2 :oops: )
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Piece of cake, assuming none of the bolts shear off ;)

Spray everything in a coating of Plusgas or other penetrating fluid (not WD40) for a few days before you start and you'll give yourself a much better chance of success. :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Interesting on the gaskets, they look fine in the kit. What's wrong with them?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Everyone I know who has used them has had them leak, and the general consensus is just to get the proper Toyota ones. I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with them as such, it just seems to be that they don't fit/crush very well.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I'll ask the guys at Rogue who will be fitting it....!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Honestly, I'd just get them to fit OEM gaskets or supply them yourself, it's not worth the hassle to go back and have to do it all again. Have a search over on ROC, there's loads of cases on there. :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Right you've convinced me, I'll ask them. :)
smith123

Post by smith123 »

I was planning on leaving the heavy old heat shield off as I would imagine it would need modifying to fit. Is it a good idea to use heat wrap on the new manifold considering how hot the engine bay gets normally?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Not really, unless you want it for aesthetic purposes. I left mine off for about 3 years, no issues at all, and I could point you in the direction of 50+ other people who have done the same with no problems.
frogger

Post by frogger »

no problems no, but the theory would be in favour of heat wrapping - aids the evacuation of exhaust gasses and keeps engine bay temps down.
You will probably never notice the benefits, and I'm sure it will cause no problems as such, but the theory sides with heat wrapping.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”