Engine earth??? Help!!!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dragon

Engine earth??? Help!!!

Post by Dragon »

Went to check my tubby just now (speedo didn't register and then jumped to 30mph when i left work) and whilst looking for the sender connection box, i noticed that there is a big black earth lead coming off the engine (on the passenger side of it, below the dizzy i think) and it isn't connected to anything else at all. The metal link is just hanging in free space :shock: :shock:

Had another look and it looks like the cable is attached to the top of the gear box. does it go to the engine? If so, where?

What happens if i try and start the car?
Nelo

Re: Engine earth??? Help!!!

Post by Nelo »

the cable on top of the gearbox goes to the chassis, if it's just hanging there you're gearbox is not being earthed properly and is probably why your speedo is screwed.

Earths are really important on the SW20 with the battery being up the front and it's no harm to always add a few more.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Cheers Nelo,

Can i just attach it to any part of the chassis in the engine bay, or is there a certain place for it?
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Anywhere on the chassis should be fine, but make sure it clean and free of dirt or anything that may obstruct its contact with the body. There is a certain place for it to the left side of the engine bay but can't describe without pics.

Just attach it, because 2's have been known to blow up and go on fire when main earths are missing......... and no i'm not just saying this to xxxx you up have pics to prove it!
gmtc

Post by gmtc »

yep anywhere will do, although there is a bolt especially made for it on the sturdy support that runs the length of the engine bay close to the gearbox. Probably best to take the rear passenger wheel off and have a fumble around near the gearbox and wheel arch. The black ground wire can not stretch very far so it shouldnt be hard to find.

HTH
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

cheers for all your help, i've got it bolted to the rear of the engine bay at the moment, but will have a search for the original mounting point later.

Return to “Electrical”