Clifford or Toad et al.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nikaso

Clifford or Toad et al.

Post by nikaso »

Nice Mr Insurance says I have to have a Cat 1 alarm for the car (when it comes!) I have been looking at the various kinds on offer. The funkiest looking ones in my opinion are the Clifford alarms, is it worth me shelling out a bit more for one of these or just going for a cheapy Cat 1 like a microscan or a TOAD?

8)
PsychomIKE

Re: Clifford or Toad et al.

Post by PsychomIKE »

A "cheapy" cat 1 alarm such as the TOAD was very good on my last car imo. If its wired in properly it will have functions such as turning on the inside light when you unlock etc... seemed good to me

No doubt i'll be prooved wrong but thats my opinion..

Cheers

Mike
exman

Post by exman »

try www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk for cobra7826/29 for t bar only £119 plus p&p and the guys are great to deal with.this price is supply only but is the cheapest around and your local auto spark could fit it for you
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Once the sparky has charged me £200 for fitting the alarm its around the same price as the Clifford models though, I prefer the Clifford alarm fobs as well! (shallow I know)
speedy_g

Post by speedy_g »

The alarm needs to be fitted by a thatcham certified fitter if you need insurance approval
exman

Post by exman »

you can fit it yourself then for around £25 a thatcham installer checks it and will give a certificate so i've heard
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Yeah but its a 6 hour job and I simply don't have the confidence
Ben

Post by Ben »

Toad AI606 is what I have installed.

I had a Clifford 300 in my MR2, before I sold it, and I found it was very prone to false alarms, not arming when it should etc.

Not had any problems with the Toad I must add.

Ben
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Seen that Toad AI606 for £250 installed, I can't really justify shelling out another £150-200 for a super swish clifford one when I am getting it for the Insurance! I just need a Cat 1 really.
Tallbloke

Post by Tallbloke »

Toad is basically the same as a clifford. It's only when yu bolt on the turbo timers and extra bits that the "clifford own" brand stuff comes into play. I've got the Toad Ai606 on mine and am very very happy with it.

If your in the south east I know a guy who'll do the toad for £300 fitted depending upon where you are.

Chris
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Well I am in NE, can get one fitted all in for £250. I am getting a turbo, do you reckon the turbo timer is a necessary thing to have?
Tallbloke

Post by Tallbloke »

nope - you could get an after market one for £50 and then get your alarm installer to put a delay on the immobliser. or do like I do. calm driving with little or no boost for the final 5 minutes of your journey then leave it running while you remove your stereo face and get you crap ready to go (phone wallet glasses etc)

So as for the TTimer - nope not really if your sensieble
speedy_g

Post by speedy_g »

I've got a Toad Ai606, cost me £230 installed, and has caused me no problems. Really couldn't justify the extra cash for the clifford, on what is just an alarm!
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Thanks for the advice guys, going to go with the Toad and the cool down turbo technique.
stevowaring

Post by stevowaring »

I had a clifford concept 650 fitted to mine, I have a T-Bar and wanted the proximity sensors and all the extra bits you get.

Not a single problem with it.
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

I've got the Scorpian 1014T2 Thatcham cat 1 Alarm fitted to my tubby an its worked perfect since day one....
Randomly Encrypted Remote Control Operation
Dual Circuit Engine Immobilisation
Passive arming and re-arming
Ultrasonic Interior Protection
Doors,. Boot, bonnet protection
Panic Facility
Status LED
Central Door Locking
Visual Arming and Disarming
Waterproof Battery Backup Siren :lol: :lol:
450wbhp comming soon
senie

Post by senie »

Had the toad ai606 for my first 2 and had no probs. brother has it on his clio sport and has had none either. had someone called sigma on latest 2. no probs again. has clifford concept 500 on middle 2. absolute rubbish. would go off if a fly landed on it. far too sensitive.

To Ben: nice to see im not the only fto owner here!
Tallbloke

Post by Tallbloke »

stevowaring wrote:I had a clifford concept 650 fitted to mine, I have a T-Bar and wanted the proximity sensors and all the extra bits you get.

Not a single problem with it.

yep you can have those with the toad now too
yellowturbs

Post by yellowturbs »

ive got a clifford 650p g5 on mine, and ive had nothing but hassle,got to back to installers on friday AGAIN!! :x tilt/motion sensor false alarming, can be o.k for hours, then at 3 in morning....here we go again! have had the clifford computer changed twice, and the tilt/motion sensor changed once. and no ,no-ones trying to take my rims ](*,) (thiefs head!) has anyone else had any similar probs, also ive been told a turbo timer wired to ur alarm is not thatcham approved and voids insurance? thanks
qc2

Toad vs Clifford

Post by qc2 »

Toad all the way!! If you want an Ai606 fitted, call this guy Dennis 07980221525 (has ads in the mags). He's done alarms for years, inc clifford etc but now refuses to do the Cliffords. They have probs because they use crap components made by crap manufacturers but apparently the new cliffords are to be different as they are looking to change all that crap component business. So for now, the Toad is the best bet by far. Had one fitted for about a year now, absolutely no probs. Can also be loaded with extras eg window/glass break sensors, wheel and impact sensors, proximity, boot release, full closure etc etc. by the way, don't mention gap security to him, he hates them and will go into one!!!

Return to “ICE and Security”