my behind the seat home made sub box

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ANT

my behind the seat home made sub box

Post by ANT »

to give people ideas..

Image[/list]
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: my behind the seat home made sub box

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

very nice :D
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

lookin good but it seem a bit big!

wot about a fibre glass attempt?
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Taz007 wrote:lookin good but it seem a bit big!

wot about a fibre glass attempt?

Big....there not big, 12"s are big ;)

To be honest they were a bit big.....I now have 10"s virtually IDENTICAL to Ant's ones....10" Pioneer VCCS subs. My boxs are about the same size too. Good compromise from 12"s as you still retain some recline with 10"s.

Lookin good :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

no i meant the box itself
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi,

i'm interested in what you guys think to the quality of sound with having subs set up behind the seats. Currently I just have some 6x9s behind my seats running off the head unit and the sound is ok but i was thinking about adding an amp and a sub but wonder if the sound will not quite be right with the sub being so close? Does it sound ok? If you have subs behind the seats where do you put your 6x9s?? (please note i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to ICE so please excuse my ignorance :D )

Rik
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

Alright Rik

I recently fitted 6 x 9 in the cubby holes behind the seats, and tbh I wish I'd saved up a bit more and gone with an amp & sub, instead of the 6 x 9 route.

I doubt you'd need 6 x 9 as well as front speakers and an amp + sub, as there would be more than enough sound generated for the cabin size without needing rear speakers too.

Hopefully there'll be some comments on here soon about the sound quality of a sub right behind you.

I had a 300w 12" sub in my Golf's boot, and you could feel the sound on the back of your neck.

With it 1ft away, god know's what it would do to internal organs, yet alone sound quality.

Ian
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Taz007 wrote:no i meant the box itself

Yep....& the box for 12"s is gonna be bigger than a box for 10"s, as you can see in the pics :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
nutter

Post by nutter »

I have 6x9's and a sub. You can mount the 6 x9's in the cubby holes facing forwards not up. Then you can place the sub box on top of the cubby holes. TBH with the seats back it muffles the sound of the 6 x 9's and a decent set of front components (amp'd of course) would sound better. I just like the staging i get, i much prefer quadraphonc to stereo :)
pecky

Post by pecky »

i hav fitted a 10" audiobhan behind my seat and the box fit perfectly, i have the plans if any 1 needs them

mase.1

Post by mase.1 »

pecky wrote:i hav fitted a 10" audiobhan behind my seat and the box fit perfectly, i have the plans if any 1 needs them

I wouldent mind them m8 :) as i am currently trying new things with my sound system i currently have a amp up front trying to design something at the front for it to attach to and the sub in the rear (15")sounds o.k, but i want more :twisted: (doesnt everybody)

cheers m8
pecky

Post by pecky »

here r the plans 4 a 10" box

hope u find them usefull
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ive just bought one of these, ive yet to install it but Chris ammon has one and he really rates it, hope it helps, Jinxy
www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/spkr0_2.asp
pecky

Post by pecky »

looks ok but dont think it would b as good as a nice 10" or 12" thudding rite behind u lol
Mike Stewart

Post by Mike Stewart »

i have 2 alpine typeR subs that are 12", iv wanted them in my car but didnt think i could fit them behind the seats, does it affect the seat position much because i need my seat basically fully back?
ANT

Post by ANT »

i have the 1 12" on the passenger side and the seat is a little more forward that usuall.. i personally wouldn't want 1 behind the driver seat cos it would need to be more forward and dont fancy a 12" punding my back.. leave that for the passenger :D
pecky

Post by pecky »

wiv a 10" behind the seat i dont have any prob as stil get some ability to recline when seat all way bk but not much
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

Hi Pecky

nice one for the box dimensions, quick question though, does the box cover the rear speakers behind the seats?? Ive got a box behind the passenger seat at the moment with 2 JL 8s in, but want to move to 2 seperate boxes, but dont want to lose the rear fill.

Thanks
pecky

Post by pecky »

no they dont cover the rear speakers as they fair high up, (bout head hight) and the bok is no where near as high so u wont lose rear fill mate.

if any 1 needs to know the box gives 0.88 cubic feet even tho the plan says 0.6 perfect for a sealed box
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Looking good guys!! Thought I'd also add some pics of mine to give people idea's. Their both 10's, I have 180w 6.5's in the factory location, I got rid of the rear speakers as the fronts over powered them.The head unit is a Pioneer MP3 unit, one 4 channel amp for the front speakers & one 4 channel for the subs. I lose ONLY a SMALL amount of recline & backwards space with the 10's, 12's I used to lose a fair bit of recline & backwards space hence ditching them in favour of 10's. Iv'e grown to prefer the sharp punch from the 10's over the low rumble drone sort of sound a 12 produces.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Return to “ICE and Security”