decat downipe

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JM_16v

decat downipe

Post by JM_16v »

where would be the best place to get a decat downpipe for a mk3?
Ekona

Re: decat downipe

Post by Ekona »

Any local exhaust place should be able to knock you one up. Hayward & Scott certainly can. Do be warned though, unless you're FI you'll lose a bag load of torque in the midrange and the car will feel a fair bit more sluggish through there, although obviously there's good weight savings to be had.
frogger

Post by frogger »

Do you actually mean the downpipe, and remove the main cat? If so - then yeah, a good exhaust centre is the place to go. H&S have a VERY good rep, but can be expensive. Personally I have had very good experiences with Powerflow centres, but the quality could vary from one centre to another.

Of course. removing the main cat will cause MOT failure on emissions, would need to be swapped back over at MOT time... and as pointed out above, will negatively affect performance in a very important part of the rev range!

If however, you mean you wish to decat the manifold, and remove the precats - then get on ebay for a manifold. Replacing this part is generally a much more common swap, and a much better plan all round compared to main cat removal, in my opinion!
JM_16v

Post by JM_16v »

Mot's are not a problem with a friendly mot tester lol, the car has been turbo converted so loss of power through the rev range is not a problem either.
frogger

Post by frogger »

Aye, fair enough if you're turbo'd. Powerflow gets my vote.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”