Lack of power

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

154mph

Lack of power

Post by 154mph »

Hi all,

I have a 87 MK1 MR2 which is what can only be described as flat as a pancake below 4600rpm, once i hit that magic figure it takes off like a rocket and will happily reach 120mph without any trouble. But below this it feels laboured, and is very slow to pick the revs up, especially uphill. i either have to drop a gear or two, or slip the clutch. I know this isn't normal as i also have a T-bar which is much more reponsive in lower revs.
The oil and water are fine, so the head gasket is fine, and it's not burning any oil, so the rings and valves are ok. The car has a K&N filter fitted and a Magnex exhaust, so if anything i would expect this car to be quicker!

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be

Thanks
Ian
JJ

Re: Lack of power

Post by JJ »

Change out ignition components and get the ignition timing checked ! Worn ignition components will give you such issues.

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah and get the cam belt timing checked as well
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

allan welsh wrote:yeah and get the cam belt timing checked as well

Though I guess this is possible Allan, it is reasonably unlikely and would take a fair amount of time to check, so i would point to other obvious faults first.

Timing, TPS would be where i would look first. Also check the throttle body isn't full of muck as this wouldn't help either.
154mph

Post by 154mph »

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was the timing, it was so far advanced i couldn't see any of the markers! I've made the adjustments and it's now running how it should.

Return to “Mechanical”