Mk2 Debut in MR2 Challenge!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Re: Mk2 Debut in MR2 Challenge!

Post by BenF »

Congratulations Patrick, great result in your first race =D>

I'm looking forwards to more reports from your next races - I'll certainly be along to any that are in Mid-late July.
James4130

Post by James4130 »

What day are the MR2's racing at Cadwell, Sat or Sun?

Just checked the Cadwell website and theres no timetable on there, was thinking about going to watch.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

James4130 wrote:What day are the MR2's racing at Cadwell, Sat or Sun?

MR2 Challenge qualifying session is Saturday morning, with the race early on in the afternoon. There's another race on Sunday morning as well. Look us up in the paddock if you make it.

Rogue
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Lauren wrote:I would say its pretty unlikely at Cadwell though. The lighter weight of the MK1 will be an advantage there.

Weight isn't my only disadvantage at the moment... The mk2 should be running 205/55/15 tyres up front and 225/50/15 at the rear. Series regulations limit us to Yokohama A539s and they don't do the correct sizes for the mk2. This means I'm running 195/55/15 up front and just 205/50/15 at the rear. I'm seriously under-tyred! :shock:

This was particularly evident coming out of the hair-pin at Mallory where my MR2 was breaking traction in second gear and was also responsible for my slower speeds around Gerards. Most people I spoke to afterwards noted that my rear end seemed more than a little twitchy!

Hopefully this is something that can be resolved later in the series.

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rogue wrote:
Lauren wrote:I would say its pretty unlikely at Cadwell though. The lighter weight of the MK1 will be an advantage there.

Weight isn't my only disadvantage at the moment... The mk2 should be running 205/55/15 tyres up front and 225/50/15 at the rear. Series regulations limit us to Yokohama A539s and they don't do the correct sizes for the mk2. This means I'm running 195/55/15 up front and just 205/50/15 at the rear. I'm seriously under-tyred! :shock:

This was particularly evident coming out of the hair-pin at Mallory where my MR2 was breaking traction in second gear and was also responsible for my slower speeds around Gerards. Most people I spoke to afterwards noted that my rear end seemed more than a little twitchy!

Hopefully this is something that can be resolved later in the series.

Rogue

See your problem! One possible solution would be to run 225/45/16s (elise rear sizes) as i know they are available in A539s. Providing Steve agrees to this of course. Would say that this wouldn't offer you any advantage and would be a better option than running on different rear tyres.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Lauren wrote:See your problem! One possible solution would be to run 225/45/16s (elise rear sizes) as i know they are available in A539s. Providing Steve agrees to this of course. Would say that this wouldn't offer you any advantage and would be a better option than running on different rear tyres.

Still no good really... Series regulations require you to run on stock alloy wheel sizes so there's no way I can go up to a 16" rim at the rear. This is a real shame since I'd sourced some very nice P1 racing alloys in 15" diameter, but sadly they were an inch wider than stock. :(

The easiest thing to do in my opinion is to allow another tyre as well that allows correct fitment on both mk1 and mk2 (and with an eye to the future, the mk3 as well). I think the Toyo Proxes T1S would fit the bill, isn't too expensive and is approved for motorsport use.

Rogue
anna

Post by anna »

I think Yoko sponsor the whole of 750... or at least, they are always there on race weekends...

Don't know if this has anything to do with the choice of A539's as the control tyre or not tho.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”