fuel pump mod - anyone remember it??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fizzy

fuel pump mod - anyone remember it??

Post by Fizzy »

Of the 4 connectors I cant remember which 2 to bridge to make the pump run constant high pressure?? :?: :?:
summ0004

Re: fuel pump mod - anyone remember it??

Post by summ0004 »

TBH i dont think its really worth it. Tried it once but soon reverted back as noticed no diffrerence whatsoever and it seemed to increase emmisions slightly.

Paul
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

YEAH.....BUT CAN YOU REMEMBER IT ??????????????????
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

paul you wont have noticed the difference because the difference is too small to feel.The reason the mod is done is because there's a noticeable dip in the power curve right were the relay clicks over between low voltage and high voltage circuits.Its thought that for a millisecond during the switchover the relay is actually outputting 0v and thats the hiccup in fuelling.Most agree that toyota arent even aware of this minor glitch.

The only side effect will be an 8% richer running at idle,just stick the relay back in for MOT,but then again a tubby doesnt need to pass emissions anyway.

I say if it provides more power no matter how little and its free then why not?

Fizzy from memory i cant actually remember the wire colour codes or pin terminals but theres bound to be articles on the net detailing.If you want to find them manually then you need to remove the relay and use a multimeter to locate the terminal that gives 12v with ignition on (not the constant 12v) and join this terminal to the fuel pump supply wire (usually blue).You can find this wire by doing a continuity check between the relay terminals and terminal FP in the diagnostic socket.To be honest its probably better that you test for the wires yourself anyway as i remember people having problems on the old imoc board due to differences in relay wiring across the revisions.
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

fizzy. wrote:YEAH.....BUT CAN YOU REMEMBER IT ??????????????????

If your standing at the spoiler I think its the bottom right and top left little 'slits' that need to be connected......I think! :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”