[Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 inlet cam rev2 exhaust what settings

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 inlet cam rev2 exhaust what settings

Post by Jimbob »

As per title, anybody running these cams? If so what have you got them dialled in at? What other mods you got and what sort of HP/Spool are you getting. i.e full boost x.xbar @xxxxrpm

Cheers

James
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 inlet cam rev2 exhaust what settings

Post by jimGTS »

im running a rev3 inlet cam and stock rev2 exhaust cam.....
i heard its good to fit a rev3 exhaust cam to, there basically the same, can be plopped in, but rev3 one is retarded by 6 degrees or something, ie better.....had i of known the later i would have put on in to! doh!
couldnt honestly tell you the difference, as i had the car mapped to (cant compare stock ecu and standalone in this regard)....
but pretty much better top end power curves.....(moving the curves to the right on the power graph)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Retarding the exhaust cam by 6 degrees is easy if you have vernier pulleys :wink:

I am asking as I just had my car mapped too. The results are not what I expected for various reasons but would like to concentrate intially on the cam setup, as the other things which may have held it back are very easy to sort out/investigate.

It made 350@1bar which is the good figure, from then on it didn't do so well. I am sure the cams are setup at stock positions. Just wondering if anyone who has used the same cams has played around and found some better setings?
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

From what I have been able to find, the Rev3 exhaust cam is retarded 5 degrees vs. Rev2 exhaust cam. Don't need expensive adjustable cam pulleys, just bolt it in straight up. I picked one up a while back for around 20 quid. Haven't installed it yet though.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I have the rev2 installed and already have adjustable pulleys, just wondering what the difference is in the two, if its 5' I want to set mine as per rev3's as I know people who have had success with this
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

ATS has tested diferent settings with the exhaust cam and found that 6 degrees retard is the optimum setting for a stock exhaust cam.

Dyno results! The graph shows the effect of ATS Cam Gears on a 2.1 3SGTE with ATS TD06 turbo kit. Run number 23 was with stock cam timing set to true zero and run number 25 is with the exhaust cam retarded 6 degrees. A increase of 15+ hp and 15lb ft. of torque!! Remember this was with STOCK CAMS. HKS cams show even bigger gains.

Return to “Modifications”