Mk1 SC - Distributor

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

waynestoyotamr2

Mk1 SC - Distributor

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

It looks to me as if oil is dripping off the Distributor cap onto the exhaust manifold and causing it to smoke from the engine bay.

I presume it will be just some kind of seal, is it a common fault [the seals going]? Or will a whole new dizzy cap setup be required? How do these things come out? (Havent looked in BGB yet) I presume if I do take them out, I will be messing with the timing??? So its important to put it back in exactly as it came out?

I am sure i've read somewhere about a "kit" to repair this - any ideas?
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Mk1 SC - Distributor

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The cap itself doesn't provide the oil seal, they're on the distributor itself. It's removed via two 12mm bolts on either side (the cap has s 8mm bolts).

www.kbox.ca does a kit to replace all the seals in the dizzy, one o-ring for the shaft into the cylinder head, one for the dizzy cap seal and the internal seals (mine were ok).

The internal seal is a bit of a PITA, I believe. You will need to put the dizzy back in exactly as it came out, there is are markings on it to show the TDC position so make sure the engines at TDC before you reinstall it (makes things easier)!

I imagine Toyota do the seals as well. The seals do go as they're probably over 12 years old!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Mk1 SC - Distributor

Post by Lauren »

You can get the seals from toyota with no problem. Experience from Mark's SC tells me that the inner seal is likely to be the culprit and they are a PITA and fiddly to do.

With a bit of patience it is possible however.

good luck!

Return to “Mechanical”