jonno's MKII Turbo

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

EarL

Re: jonno's MKII Turbo

Post by EarL »

xxxx wrote:i never understood that jonno? why not just go to an external wastegate set up?

Tim
xxxx

I was wondering the same thing Tim :?
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I think what Neil's getting at is that its important on internal gating to get the actuator rod set-up properly and carefully so that it acts on the wastegate correctly. That way the boost control will be much more accurate and progressive as theres no snagging and all is smoooofth.

I suppose an external gate would work well but theres additional hassles with that also, location, size etc. If an internal is sized correctly I suppose it will work as well if not better.

My question is really does it work well enough which is what I fink you guys are getting at, was the fine tuning a result of difficulties getting boost control using the stock gate and would an external have been easier, kinda my earlier question.

Any comments Neil?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

oh yes i understand what he was saying.

I just couldn't understand why not weld it up and go external. You won't get a better responce than a good external wastegate. Got one on mine. Perfect boost control. No spikes/creep anything regardless of weather.

Tim
xxxx
jonno

Post by jonno »

xxxx wrote:oh yes i understand what he was saying.

I just couldn't understand why not weld it up and go external. You won't get a better responce than a good external wastegate. Got one on mine. Perfect boost control. No spikes/creep anything regardless of weather.

Tim
xxxx

Welding the wastegate is a bad thing to do since the housing was designed to be internal, much better to replace it with the external version in the first place.

For what its worth I will be going external WG when I re-do the exhaust, but for the time being I decided to keep things simple and stick with the internally gated version. Mainly because I havent decided what I want to do with the exhaust yet :)

They say you can gain upto 700rpm spool with an external WG but ONLY if you replace the exhaust housing for a smaller AR, if you dont do this it will just improve boost control and nothing more.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

yeah i ment as most of a boost control solution as remember when we were talking a while back you were complaining about this. i believe it was before you solved it.

THing is some turbo's exspecially with the t25 footprints don't have a none internal wastegate option so welding up the internal wastegate is the only option. I did this on mine, well cut the internal gate off and had a plug fabricated and welded into place. It was long enough to fill right upto the exhaust entry of the turbo where i could smooth it down and flowed better.

This is what i'll be doing for the external wastegate kits i'm offering.

Tim
xxxx
ZackMR2

Post by ZackMR2 »

the nicest set of alloys i have ever seen on an mr2. where did u get them and how much
ZackMR2

Post by ZackMR2 »

also the taillights :thumleft:
karammander

Post by karammander »

the wheels are a wedsport sa90 i think. look on envy i think they sell em on there.

think his lights were rogue revision 6 units.

correct me someone if i'm wrong but i'm sure jonno was going down the v6 route but remember seeing ads on ebay from gtschris and i noticed his number plate and distinct things off his car, so i think its been broken.

a shame because he was the first to try many new types of product on his car.

cheers karam
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Your correct in thinking Jonno's car is now broken and the V6 plan abandoned which is a real shame, that would have been one awesome V6!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

jonb- wrote:Your correct in thinking Jonno's car is now broken and the V6 plan abandoned which is a real shame, that would have been one awesome V6!

:shock: I didn't know that. He's left MR2s then?
T

Return to “Project Cars”