Bruntingthorpe Spins

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Bruntingthorpe Spins

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Well I had one, coming into the chicane just after turn 3. It was my first session after lunch and on the first lap I turned in too quick, going too fast. The backed started sliding left, I think I snatched at the steering wheel and overcompensated sending it off t'other way, but I was rather concerned with avoiding the tyre bollard on the second corner of the chicane. At this point the ar$e end overtook us, we exited stage right and did at least one 360 accross the grass coming to rest about 30 metres from the track, I thought we'd make it to the field of oilseed rape (?) which would have been interesting! I've had grass cuttings blowing out of the air vents since! :lol:

Anna, correct me if I got any of that wrong, we may have fishtailed a bit more before taking leave of the track.

I know a couple of other guys & gals had 'moments' so get posting! (we won't mention gearboxes).
anna

Re: Bruntingthorpe Spins

Post by anna »

Well, from what I can remember, you just took too much speed through the first bit of the chicane - maybe apexed it a bit early too, and then had the back end out and had no hope of making the second part of the chicane - unless you cut the corner - but as you said, the tyres didn't look too friendly on the corner there...
The chicane was pretty tight down there, so really you needed a bit more (ok, maybe a lot more ;) ) track to correct the car and make the corner

Full marks for style though ;)

Limeymk1 wrote:
I know a couple of other guys & gals had 'moments' so get posting! (we won't mention gearboxes).

Grumble grumble..... Speedy made it to work without 4th this morning, perhaps you don't need it :lol:

Quite a few of the 'souped up' cars seemed to lose it on the first corner after the straight - they must have been going pretty quick! - Anyone make it all the way over to the Aircraft?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Speedy made it to work without 4th this morning, perhaps you don't need it

Grumble grumble..

I probably put a front wheel on the grass going through that section with Vashy in the car, but no drama there. Must try harder next time :)

Si said he got closer to the 747, and somebody was driving Bens Mk1 had a spin down the back straight somewhere - anybody else?
jonno

Post by jonno »

anna wrote:Quite a few of the 'souped up' cars seemed to lose it on the first corner after the straight - they must have been going pretty quick! - Anyone make it all the way over to the Aircraft?

I managed quite a nice slide at 120mph with Rogue in the passenger seat through that corner, took it just a smidge to tight - luckily I managed to keep it under control and I dont think anyone really noticed - other than patrick who had a huge grin and gave me a thumbs up :)

Only other moment was out of the 180 degree bottom corner with Mark as a passenger - way too much power on the way out and we ended up in a 45 degree slide - clumsily corrected and lost loads of time, but no fishtailing so I didnt look like an ar$e :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The only it could have been a spin type moment i had was it think with Dale or was it Alex going into my fave corner, ie the 2nd corner - the fast righthander.

I pitched the car in at 95ish basically just whacking on lock pretty quick to get the car sliding. The car was going sideways quite well but really it wanted to go a bit too much so it was a hit the lock stops moment, so full opposite lock. At this point i was thinking, fine, but now i've got to wind this lock off which was well over a turn pretty quickly otherwise its not going to look pretty. I got the lock off pretty much in one go and no fishtailing so sorted! :D

i did think i might have been pushing my luck at the last corner, though as i used lift off oversteer instead of the brakes which tended to result in daft amount of opposite lock. ;)
fizz

Post by fizz »

Had 2 spins...

the first was coming out of that coned chicane.. was getting the back sliding out a little each time i went through there and was really enjoying it....

gave it a little more to see where the traction really does go and i found it.. lol.. counter steer into the slide and thought id caught it as it flicked to the other side and there was no way i was going to catch that and round we went with smoke everywhere.. #-o :mrgreen:

Me and my mate were pissin ourselfs laughing!. :D

The 2nd spin was the 2nd to last corner ... the right hander.. the left before it i took a bit too wide and when i weight shifted to take the right turn.. it was a bit bumpy and back end went light and span it into the grass...

Was funny to see the skid marks going cris cross into the grass.. and showed that to everyone i took out for a spin.. lol :clown:

those were in the morning session.. after that i was a lot more confident.. great to be able to push the car to my limits to see where i can take it to... :mrgreen:
vashy

Post by vashy »

Lauren wrote:...but now i've got to wind this lock off which was well over a turn pretty quickly otherwise its not going to look pretty. I got the lock off pretty much in one go and no fishtailing so sorted! :D
next time I see ya you'll have to show me how you're quickly getting a complete turn of lock on (and off!).
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

i did think i might have been pushing my luck at the last corner, though as i used lift off oversteer instead of the brakes which tended to result in daft amount of opposite lock.

nahhh, you can never have too much :)

As for the first corner, I don't recall hearing full lock, but we did seem to be attempting bigger angles to hold the slide for longer.... =D>
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

vashy wrote:next time I see ya you'll have to show me how you're quickly getting a complete turn of lock on (and off!).

Its not easy to do John, you end up being a bit hamfisted with it, but really timing is absolutely crucial if you are to keep the car in balance.

Tbh its not ideal as i never really want more than half a turn of opposite lock on as that way i don't need to move my hands on the wheel and its all a lot smoother. Having no more than half a turn helps to maintain speed too.
vashy

Post by vashy »

yeah, I guess it's just for those 'oh xxxx' slides where you really really need more than half a turn! I don't think I normally use more than that. You must be good to be able to back it all off again quickly, at the right time, so you don't just fishtail out the other way..!

Speedy, any news on the rustbucket of fun?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Still quite happy on 4 gears at the moment :) Will have to wait for some funds to become available to fix it/replace it.. just means no more trackdays/shows in the meantime :(
vashy

Post by vashy »

hey it's not so bad, you could do Anglesea! I only used 3 gears there :P
I hope you can find a cheap 'box.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Me too - when I have the time/funds, i'll set my chief engineer (Anna) on the job :D
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

If you need a hand with the gearbox (I could steal my dads 323 to transport it :twisted: ) give us a shout.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

used to be until last oct, now I plough the M40/A46 everyday instead around stratford / leamington spa..

i'm sure we'll get something worked out - the only reason for the delay in getting it fixed is because we are getting something else which we could use to transport gearboxes around in, so I can't afford it at the moment (can't afford the time either :roll: )

Cheers for the offer tho!
anna

Post by anna »

hey - fingers crossed for System-g's engine transplant - we might end up with a his gearbox [-o< :) [-o< \:D/ :)

We're defo gonna be going grass auto-testing at Brunties on May 25th (i've been assured that we shouldn't really need 3rd let alone 4th!), but track days will have to wait...

If/when we get hold of a gearbox, you're all welcome to come and help :D

Hey i've just had a *really good* idea for JAE :lol: :shock: :D
vashy

Post by vashy »

anna wrote:We're defo gonna be going grass auto-testing at Brunties on May 25th (i've been assured that we shouldn't really need 3rd let alone 4th!), but track days will have to wait...
hooooo, sounds fun, don't forget to take some photos!
anna wrote:Hey i've just had a *really good* idea for JAE :lol: :shock: :D
Are you thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking? :shock: ....still, I'll lend a hand and going by imoc beardage at brunty I'd say anything's possible... with enough beers of course! :wink:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

with enough beers of course!

Thats the part I'm worried about, go in with 4 foward gears, and one reverse, and come out with 5 reverse gears and one forward :D

Return to “Driving Experiences”