Parts from US

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kezza_2Turbo

Parts from US

Post by Kezza_2Turbo »

Hey all ,

I'm going to be ordering a new dump valve from Dusty over at mvpmotorsports.com and he passed a good idea onto me!!

He told me if I ordered something else the shipping doesn't really go up and hence it works out cheaper shipping per item.

SO..... if anyone else wants to order something from the US then chuck it onto my order and we get cheap shipping!!

Cheers
K
BenF

Re: Parts from US

Post by BenF »

If your order is over £130 beware import duty, handling charges and VAT - they can seriously eat into any savings you make ..
Kezza_2Turbo

but....

Post by Kezza_2Turbo »

but if you label the product as a gift you don't have to pay any duty/tax.

K
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Bzzzt... Incorrect.

The limit for normal goods is 18 quid. For items labelled as gifts it is 30 quid.

Anything else, be prepared to pay import duty, VAT, and any payment charges that Royal Mail slap on top. You may not get charged, but be prepared to pay it all :(
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

I would convert the price you are paying in US into £££s as that is what it tends to cost by the time you have cleared customs and the various duties etc.
Marcus

Re: but....

Post by Marcus »

Kezza_2Turbo wrote:but if you label the product as a gift you don't have to pay any duty/tax.

K

If your package is labelled as containing a 'warranty replacement' you shouldn't have to pay duty regardless of price (as theoretically you'd have paid duty on the item when it first entered the country)

Check the document 'Notice 702 - Imports' from http://www.hmce.gov.uk

5 - Relief from import VAT
5.3 Reimportation of goods temporarily exported for process or repair.

If the process has been carried out for no charge, for example because the goods are covered by a warranty,
guarantee or service agreement, no VAT is due on re-importation

Sometimes it's worth it just biting the bullet and paying the duty than risking a fraud charge :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”