T-Bar Conversion???????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Alex_Dunn

T-Bar Conversion???????

Post by Alex_Dunn »

i have just been browsing the mr2 solutions site and they say that can do a t bar conversion has n e one heard of this before i would have thought it would be quite a big job as i thought the t bar had a stronger chassis??
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: T-Bar Conversion???????

Post by Lauren »

It does.

In all seriousness if you want a t-bar go and buy a t-bar car, doing a conversion is pointless and fraught with problems and may make the car difficult to sell. It is true that t-bars had a reinforced chassis ie thicker metal in the b-pillars etc as they lack the rigidity of the coupe.

Having owned both types i would say the coupe is better anyway. It is more rigid and you never have problems with leaking t-bar seals. Also the t-bar does not work as well as you might think as a halfway house between a hard top and convertible. There is a lot of buffeting with a t-bar that you simply don't get with a proper convertible. When i first had my t-bar i used to take out the panels a lot in the end i never took them out at all. Also a coupe is lighter too albeit not by much.
Neil Clark

Post by Neil Clark »

My roof are hardly ever in!, i love it!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Neil Clark wrote:My roof are hardly ever in!, i love it!!

each to their own i guess ;)

I had an MX5 through last summer and i had the roof down pretty much all the time and it was quite comfortable even at motorway speeds. My MR2 wasn't if just used to buffet something terrible and not meaning to go off some girlie thing, but it ruined my hair too.

I guess its okay if you are cruising around town or something, but i just never do that kind of driving.
MarkyMR2

Post by MarkyMR2 »

Ive never had a problem with my roof leaking (touch wood) :? And i've never found it any trouble quickly poppin the roof on or off :lol:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

This was discussed at some length on the 'old imoc'. But in summary the concensous was that it'd be cheaper to sell yours and buy a T-Bar. Rogue had even chopped a sunroof or tintop version and found there to be a fair amount of flex in the windscreen - so it'd be quite an extensive/expensive job to convert properly.

Return to “Mechanical”