ENGINE TICKOVER

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bullseyejay

ENGINE TICKOVER

Post by bullseyejay »

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MIGHT CAUSE THE ENGINE TICK OVER TO BE UP AND DOWN AND NOT STEADY.. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECATED THANKS JAY
SimonPearse

Re: ENGINE TICKOVER

Post by SimonPearse »

bullseyejay wrote:CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MIGHT CAUSE THE ENGINE TICK OVER TO BE UP AND DOWN AND NOT STEADY.. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECATED THANKS JAY

which car (model, revision etc)? by how much are the revs changing?

Simle things first: do you have aircon? is it switched to 'Econ' mode? As it cuts in and out the load on the engine changes and revs fluctuate. switch out of econ mode and the revs stabilise.
bullseyejay

Post by bullseyejay »

ITS MK1 D REG AND THEY GO FROM AROUND 1000 TO 1500 AND BACK DOWN NEVER STEADING ONLY STEADY AT 2000 WHEN CAR IS COLD
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

You have air in the cooling system. The air passing the temp sensor confuses the ECU causing the idle speed to bob up and down. Never happened to me but i've read loads of posts like yours. Will a mk1 owner who has had this problem back me up!?

All you need to do is bleed the system with those flexi pipes (under front bonnet trim) and top up your coolant level.

hth, Jon.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep like Jon says, definately check for air in your cooling system. As the throttle body is quite high up where the water passes through it the idle will rise and fall if the cooling system has air in it.
bullseyejay

Post by bullseyejay »

thanks for your help will try this after i change radiator as it has started to leak .cheers jay

Return to “Mechanical”