I'm in LOVE with my MR2 again! :D

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Mania

I'm in LOVE with my MR2 again! :D

Post by MR2Mania »

Hi folks,

Today, I had one hell of a drive in my MR2 - the best drive since completing the rebuild!

I did a round trip of about 260miles, across some very interesting roads (country lanes, etc). Also, got to play with the power in the wet and see how well it would put it down! Let's just say I was blown away with how quickly I could go without having to try at all.

eg. messing about with a well driven Peugeot 106GTi, which is a pretty quick car on country lanes, let alone when you're following in a reasonably powerful MR2, down roads I've never been down, and IN THE WET! Let's just say neither me nor the car twitched an eyelid, it was just so effortless! :D

To top it off, I managed to average dead on 28mpg! This is for a 340bhp car and using the full power on several occassions, as well as sitting in some stop-start traffic for about half an hour. The rest was cruising and reasonable speeds down country lanes.

Anyway, "Nicole" has made me smile again in a BIG way, and my enthusiasm is all renewed.

Just thought I'd share it with you all...
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: I'm in LOVE with my MR2 again! :D

Post by Lauren »

Dino, hope you don't mind if i pop this into the driving experiences section as it is exactly the kind of post that should be in there IYSWIM.

Glad you got it running okay. Does this mean shock/horror that you may come on a trackday anytime soon? ;)
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Lauren wrote:Dino, hope you don't mind if i pop this into the driving experiences section as it is exactly the kind of post that should be in there IYSWIM.

Yeah, no worries Lauren. In my excitement, I couldn't think where to put it!! (oooer!).

Lauren wrote:Glad you got it running okay. Does this mean shock/horror that you may come on a trackday anytime soon? ;)

She's running well, although the gearbox is still a major problem. It's OK on the road, where you can learn to drive around the problem, but on a track it would drive me mad!

But it won't be long now! Now that I've got renewed enthusiasm, I'll be on the case to get everything sorted one by one so that at least by the summer I can have even more fun! :D

The main thing is, I wanted to offer some encouragement to those that have done big builds, and have encountered the occassional mishap. At times like that, it's hard to see the good side of things, but when you have days like I've had today, it suddenly all makes sense and it again seems like it was worth it.
Dino
ryan

Post by ryan »

:shock: :shock: Dino, 28mpg @340bhp? I can only dream of such figures on fuel consumption. I average 23mpg and thats with the AVCR nearly always on 11psi setting. I think your fueling must be spot on [-(
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

ryan wrote::shock: :shock: Dino, 28mpg @340bhp? I can only dream of such figures on fuel consumption. I average 23mpg and thats with the AVCR nearly always on 11psi setting. I think your fueling must be spot on [-(

Hi mate. Yeah, very impressive isn't it? I was shocked!

Part throttle stuff (which is what I've been concentrating on) is bang on, but on full throttle, it's still very rich in order to make up for the stock pump not being able to maintain the right pressure. Once I get the new in-line pump and bits, I'll be able to map the onboost stuff to be closer to optimum too. So should get more power for the same kind of consumption! :D
Dino

Return to “Driving Experiences”