Celica GT4 engine in a Tubby?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shafster

Celica GT4 engine in a Tubby?

Post by shafster »

have been offered one of these. I know the engine is a 3s-gte too. was just thinking about the intercooler being the same or different as a few weeks ago i heard of peeps putting gt4 intercoolers on their tubbys.

can someone explain this and anything else i should e aware of please :)
CJ B

Re: Celica GT4 engine in a Tubby?

Post by CJ B »

I used to have a GT4 and bought an MR2 3S-GTE as a spare.
Things dont mount in the same way but there are the holes in the head / block for swapping the studs & brackets around.
The engine mounts the other way around ie turbo to the front on a GT4.
If your looking to swap out a knackered tubby engine then you will only have to fiddle around, if its for a conversion job I would expect to need a lot of extra bits off a genuine tubby.
Whilst the engine is out you should perform all the jobs that are hard / impossible with it in - change the cambelt for a start.
If you have an EPC then look up the part number for both intercoolers they may be the same but the pipework is gonna be different.

Chris.
shafster

Post by shafster »

cheers for that chris.

i think i will give it a miss as it sounds like a bit too much trouble. i want a simple drop in swap for my knackered turbo engine, so i will go for the replacement engines being offered by various breakers for £550-£600 all in :)
CJ B

Post by CJ B »

Might of confused you a little!
If you wanna swap your engine then it wont be that hard, the engines are the same just certain things like the alternator brackets will have to be moved.
You have all the bits you need already on your tubby - take the engine out, swap over the relevent bits to the gt4 engine and drop it back in again.
Then you can start rebuilding your old engine with high spec internals & a home porting job! ( http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm )
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

Here's a list of differences between the two engines, It's from a GT4 site concerning fitting MR2 3S-GTE to a GT4 but the list will still help you.

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/3S-GTE%20Conversion.htm
shafster

Post by shafster »

cheers guys.

yeah it was just an option, i would rather pay £20 more for an mr2 engine than have someone messin about with a few bits to fit the gt4 one. i see what you are saying though :)
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

I thought GT4s used a chargecooler instead of an intercooler to give them the extra 10bhp.
SimonPearse

Post by SimonPearse »

has anyone ever put a GT4 engine in the front of a tubbie (driving the front wheels only) i.e. twin engine? I know that this has been done with other cars (e.g. Golf GTI, R5 GTT that I know of). It would be an interesting beastie......
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Stef, the limited edition of the ST185 (pop-up lights version) GT4, the Carlos Sainz / RC and the last ST205 (quad round lights) had the chargecooler, all the other models (all the ST165's and all bar ~5000 ST185's) had an air-air intercooler. It made minimal difference to power on the ST185, around 205bhp compared to the standard 200bhp (the earlier ST165 was around 180, if I'm not mistaken) - but of course, it was required to be fitted for homologation purposes.

The ST205 had the better spec engine similar to the late MR2's, making 245bhp (UK on unleaded) or 255bhp (Jap on 100RON fuel).
CJ B

Post by CJ B »

ST165's have water/air
ST185's all have pop up lights and air/air! except...
Carlos Sainz had water/air (and pop up lights!!!!)
ST205's have water/air and non pop up lights
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

MegatronUK wrote:The ST205 had the better spec engine similar to the late MR2's, making 245bhp (UK on unleaded) or 255bhp (Jap on 100RON fuel).

So yep Stef.....that is were the quoted 10 bhp comes from. They need it to haul around the extra weight ;)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Return to “Mechanical”