Fog Light Replacement

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cammywhite

Fog Light Replacement

Post by cammywhite »

Guys, I'm new to this site and I could use some help.
I've had a Mark II (UK) for over a year now and the Front Fogs never worked when I got it. I haven't bothered about changing the bulbs until recently when my main beam bulbs both blew (I though it was strange that both went at the same time). I realised that there was some water in one of the fogs which I assume is affecting the wiring to the other lights. The trouble is when I tried to remove both the front fogs they were rusted like a MF. I tried to drill the screws but my drilbit is not long enough (I can't find one in a supplier) to get past the front bumper. I asked Mr T if they could do it but after looking at it they said they would need to jack it up and remove the radiator to get in from the back. This seems eccessive (not to mention costly).
Has anyone out there got some experience with this problem? Your help is much appreciated.
Cammy
Mr Two

fog light replacement

Post by Mr Two »

I had to take mine out a couple of weeks ago and i had same problem!1 :( I tried ordinary drill-no good as you say.Went to local hardware shops and eventually got fixed up with a drill-bit which was just long enough to reach the screw-heads.So i drilled the heads off first which allowed me to remove the lights(they take quite a strong pull to release them-theres a metal plug on the back of the light which pushes into plastic retainer)Then i could gain a bit better access to the screws to drill out the cores.Either my drill was naff or the screws are top Q!! :o .After they were all drilled out i bought some self-tappers from Halfrauds and put the lights back in situ.
I had to change both bulbs and i wanted to remove the yellow inserts from inside the lights too.
BUT-be careful not to damage the plastic surround where the screws go through like i did on one!!! :x

Hope this might help you a bit

Dave

Return to “Electrical”