Still Bl**dy Misfiring!!!!! AAARGH!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pizza boy

Still Bl**dy Misfiring!!!!! AAARGH!

Post by pizza boy »

Replaced the dizzy and the rotor arm after missfirings and idling problems but the problem continues...its like I never even replaced these parts..and my old dizzy and rotor were really knackered too... plugs only a year old.

Heres what happens : The car on cold start up will idle low at 950-1000..not 1500 like it should.
It'll stay like that for around 30sec. Then there will be a wierd "brrmp brrmp brrrmp" sounds interrupting the steady "brmmmmmm" of the engine and the idle judders about with this sound
If I tap the throttle there is a clear delay befor the revs will respond and it has a lot of trouble settling down again.
Eventually itll conk out as the above mentioned "bbrmmp brrmp" takes right over and the engine stalls.

Ive checked the hosing they are all fine. Ive yet to put in the redex stuff (car ran very low on fuel recently might be clogged injectors im thinking).
Bender Unit

Re: Still Bl**dy Misfiring!!!!! AAARGH!

Post by Bender Unit »

Have you changed the lead and have you changed the coil?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

have you checked it for fault codes?
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

look for tiny hairline cracks in the dizzy cap.had to look real hard in mine when the mechanic pointed this out to me....has this could be enough for a mis fire......
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

change ht leads and spark plugs first matey!!!!!
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Ahhh...thanks for the help guys. Its sorted! Its strange last time i replaced the dizzy and rotor+plugs the problem dissappeared instantly the minute I fired the engine up. This time however the engine fired up and was still fecked BUT...after writing up this topic I started it again and it sounded ok...I let it idle till it was fully warmed up..still ok.
Drove it for 2 hours after..mixed drivin and the problem is gone. It seems the ecu and sensors took a little while longer to adjust to the new dizzy than last time giving the initial impression that the problem was still there. So its sorted itself out and settled down eventually thank feck.
...oh yet another dizzy/rotor/plugs=misfiring escapade...will it ever end. :roll:

All the best for the New Year !!! 8)

Return to “Mechanical”