Nurburgring with some Evo boys (not for the faint hearted)

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dave Couzens

Nurburgring with some Evo boys (not for the faint hearted)

Post by Dave Couzens »

Well after the recent trip to the Nurburgring, I thought I would share with you all the typical attitude of some of the more esteemed Mitsubishi owning contingent that were in our party. Remember, evenings in Nurburg are very amusing... :oops:

See if you can see (or you may spot) some of the sensible mr2 owners in the photo acting responsibly...

http://www.lancerregister.com/attachmen ... tid=703541

Would be good to see some imocers there later this year - as there was only a few from the TOC who actually made it over. The trip that Ben seems to be planning could be good - was flying the IMOC flag with just a few of us though. :)

http://www.lancerregister.com/attachmen ... tid=704887

Excellent weekend though, and more photos from the trip I was on can be found over on the lancer register where the guy with all the photos can be found (RichW).

As just a taster the locals are very much into their styling:

One of the 2 mr2's in our group:

I'll have more photos I can post at a nearer date when I have the hi-res versions.
RogH

pah

Post by RogH »

:D Feelin' the love!

Any of you IMOC boys actually gonna turn up this year rather than just talking about it!?

:wink:
Dave Couzens

Re: Nurburgring with some Evo boys (not for the faint hearted)

Post by Dave Couzens »

I think we scared them off :oops: :D

Post by Guest »

Rog,
My word - long time, etc....!!! For what it's worth a few of us will be there on the weekend of 8th/9th/10th of July. I'll be in the Rex not sure who else will be in what but there'll be a few of us going along, old and new faces (don't know who to be sure....new fangled web thingy....).

I'm also going again later in the year hopefully for another two or three trips so drop me a PM or en email and let me know your plans - I could do with some company (c: I'll be taking the Mk1 again for the later trips. I want to get it booked up in advance and the ferry tickets all paid for so I have something to look forward to for when I'm broke - four weeks and counting....

I need to decide how often I'll be going to work out if a years card is worth it or not - the prices have gone up again and the laps are now looking a tad expensive.....

Cheers,
Si.
fizz

Post by fizz »

I was there bud with the TOC.. ive got an identicle car to the one above (pauls) but mine had standard rims on..

Would love to knwo if you have any pics of my car on track as i got none.. [-o<

Or even any pics of our group.. :mrgreen:

Had an awesome time though.. im defo goign back next year! \:D/
cg nz

Turn up at the Ring AND actually do laps

Post by cg nz »

Hell! - at last it seems IMOC are getting a few people together rather than just dribs and drabs going there

But Si, you actually have to buy a tkt to do lots of laps rather than just saying you will buy a JahresKarte

And taking the Mk1 was supposed to be a way of doing lots of laps without worries of expensive car damage - save weight, leave the garage at home, forget photographing mice and just get out there and do the damn laps

Other wise, like some of you colleagues, it continues to be a mystery place that you circulate because you do not do enough laps to remember which way it goes

And for gods sake a slight noise/deviation by the car is not a dodgy moment requiring easing off for the whole lap

The Ring is a place to be enjoyed not feared resulting in paralysis - a place to lap unlike any other track - uk trackdays are no preparation and should be avoided if try to ready yourself for the Ring

You are NOT goping to be a boy or girl racer there so do not need to know the limit of grip/performance/saving a spin because you are NOT going to be pushing that hard

What gives familiarity/comfort/confidence is lap after lap after lap - looking for the smooth lap - right line and right gear

And do not go there to move over every time a car/bike approaches

On the road in the UK, if feeling unsafe to change line when being approached from behind by another vehicle then you sould not do so, same at the Ring, hold your line, get through that bend then move over on the straight - you have to be a bit selfish to LEARN AND ENJOY the Ring

One reason why some people are moving over so much is that they are going tooo slow! A decent pace is not going to put you at risk if you drive within your limit/knowledge/vision - drive sensibly as you would drive an unfamiliar road in the UK - but NOT at a dangerously slow pace

If you are going to avoid holding up anyone approaching from behind and are never going to look for a the right line through the bends at a normal speed then drive on the right ALL the time........

....................and do not waste your money buying a JahresKarte!
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Any of you IMOC boys actually gonna turn up this year rather than just talking about it!?

If my flipping engine ever gets fitted :cry: I have set aside holiday in August with the intention of going with anyone else whos interested. Just need to get the engine in and run in, then mapped, then ....... :roll:

Glad you all had a good time!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Turn up at the Ring AND actually do laps

Post by Lauren »

cg nz wrote:
Other wise, like some of you colleagues, it continues to be a mystery place that you circulate because you do not do enough laps to remember which way it goes

And for gods sake a slight noise/deviation by the car is not a dodgy moment requiring easing off for the whole lap

The Ring is a place to be enjoyed not feared resulting in paralysis - a place to lap unlike any other track - uk trackdays are no preparation and should be avoided if try to ready yourself for the Ring

You are NOT goping to be a boy or girl racer there so do not need to know the limit of grip/performance/saving a spin because you are NOT going to be pushing that hard

What gives familiarity/comfort/confidence is lap after lap after lap - looking for the smooth lap - right line and right gear

And do not go there to move over every time a car/bike approaches

On the road in the UK, if feeling unsafe to change line when being approached from behind by another vehicle then you sould not do so, same at the Ring, hold your line, get through that bend then move over on the straight - you have to be a bit selfish to LEARN AND ENJOY the Ring

One reason why some people are moving over so much is that they are going tooo slow! A decent pace is not going to put you at risk if you drive within your limit/knowledge/vision - drive sensibly as you would drive an unfamiliar road in the UK - but NOT at a dangerously slow pace

If you are going to avoid holding up anyone approaching from behind and are never going to look for a the right line through the bends at a normal speed then drive on the right ALL the time........

I have to say that though you may well know the Ring well, I don't agree with some of your comments to say the least! How can doing trackdays not help you when you go to the Ring? I have done countless trackdays and raced etc. Would you really say that having some experience of car control and driving at much faster than road speeds would count against me when i get to the Ring? I think it helps to an immeasurable level to know how to control a car if you are going onto any race track. Things like understanding where the limits of grip lie and how to recover a car if you get into a slide are vital if you are to save yourself binning it.
cg nz

Post by cg nz »

You may disagree to say the least but that's my view

I guess we will differ about this issue

Trackdays are not essential before going to the Ring IMO because you are not going to be pushing it - you are not going there to race? or chase a fast time?

Or are you? or are any others in the group?

If you are ready to push it at the Ring then it can help have an idea of your cars' behaviour on the limit

If you have done trackdays and raced then it wil not count against you

But a problem with UK trackday people is that try to lap the Ring like it is a UK track and even at lower speeds it will catch you out

Early turn-in particularly, to clip the apex has caused so many new visitors to go off track because they treat corners like they did in the UK

Late and very late turn-in is common at the Ring and Adenauer Forst notably will probably bite some of the IMOC group if they make it to the Ring

I have passengered with some other IMOC visitors and it was not uncommon to find early turn-in causing some awkward moments

I had not done any UK trackdays before my first visit and I think it helped me to have a fresh approach but that was just for me

Go there with whatever knowledge you have or obtain such prior knowledge that you think you need too have and then have fun
jonno

Post by jonno »

cg nz wrote:You may disagree to say the least but that's my view

Trackdays are not essential before going to the Ring IMO because you are not going to be pushing it - you are not going there to race? or chase a fast time?

If you are ready to push it at the Ring then it can help have an idea of your cars' behaviour on the limit

But a problem with UK trackday people is that try to lap the Ring like it is a UK track and even at lower speeds it will catch you out

Early turn-in particularly, to clip the apex has caused so many new visitors to go off track because they treat corners like they did in the UK

Late and very late turn-in is common at the Ring and Adenauer Forst notably will probably bite some of the IMOC group if they make it to the Ring

I have passengered with some other IMOC visitors and it was not uncommon to find early turn-in causing some awkward moments

I had not done any UK trackdays before my first visit and I think it helped me to have a fresh approach but that was just for me

Go there with whatever knowledge you have or obtain such prior knowledge that you think you need too have and then have fun

So what your saying is that if I *really* want to enjoy the ring I should drive nice and slowly and do plenty of laps? Sounds like my daily commute - I will leave the ring to you more experienced drivers whilst I waste my time at Donington or Mallory this summer :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
cg nz

Post by cg nz »

If that's how you read it then so be it and you can go where you want and go as fast as you want - back to Spa perhaps but I am sure you will not be wasting your time
Last edited by cg nz on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cg nz wrote:You may disagree to say the least but that's my view

Its not a case of me disagreeing with your for the sake of it, i did so because i think you are offering bad advice.

I guess when i get there this summer, i'll drive it at a good speed, i won't be going mad as that would be crazy if you don't know the circuit, but i'll certainly push where its well sighted. I can't see the point of pootling round, surely you may as well just follow one of the coaches if you do that?

I generally treat corners on their individual merit given that no two are the same. Anyone with little experience makes the mistake of turning in too early, thats not just an issue with the ring tbh. I'd say they more likely treat corners like they do from road driving.

I think if you haven't any previous circuit experience that you'll be more likley to get into difficulty than if you have.

Its not a case of me attaining whatever knowledge to drive the Ring. I have done trackdays for 5 years now (i work for a trackday company). i've raced too. I've just always wanted to have a go at the Ring purely because its the mecca of motorsport.
cg nz

Post by cg nz »

If you read my posts as advising you to be 'pootling round' then I am afraid it is your imagination playing tricks

I will not tell you what speed to go but I will offer info about the Ring that has caused UK visitors problems on their first visit AND excess speed by UK visitors unfamiliar with the Ring is a problem

There are few gravel traps like there are at Brands to save you

I know who you are and what you do but none of that will be of much use to you at the Ring if you cannot see what I believe is useful advice when it is before you
DoM

Post by DoM »

Looks like fun Dave!! Let me know when you're going out next - I want to get 3 or 4 trips in before the end of the year.
cg nz

Post by cg nz »

I thought I had seen most of the pictures on MLR inc an exposed shot but not that picture - and in the Dorint Hotel as well?

What a cheek!

Def looks as if people were having a few Eifelgeist moments

When you get out there again Dom, be careful how many you have!

Return to “Past Events”