Changing the standard head unit

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Flynn

Changing the standard head unit

Post by Steve Flynn »

Hi guys, just looking through all of the other posts on this subject and there seems to be some conflicting information, so just want to get some clarification.
My girlfriends dad has just bought a 1993 tubby, which has the original head unit and CD slave. We have been told that we need to by-pass the original amps by re-wiring the everything. If not, there is a possibility the amps will pop when a more powerful head unit is added. Is this the case? If this is the case, why would anyone make PC9-406 for something that does not work?
All we I need to know is will the adapter work without blowing the amps?
I can't use my wiring as a reference as the previous owner replaced everything.
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Changing the standard head unit

Post by BenF »

It really depends if the system in the car is an 'active' setup or a passive one.

If its passive (most GTS with the non premium sound system has this) then you should be able to modify the loom at the back of the stereo.

If it is active, I'd bypass it completely and run your own wiring though - that will take a bit of time, but is worth it.

One thing to watch though, the standard rear subs are 2 ohms which is a bit low for most head units to drive.
Steve Flynn

Post by Steve Flynn »

Thanks for the info Ben. Problem is, mine never had the standard head unit and speakers in, so I have no reference of what I am looking at in the tubby.
How can I tell if it has a passive or active speakers? The car is a GT. Someone mentioned having a look in the security box, but this one does not seem to have one of these. Is there a seperate amp under the passenger seat. It looks like my UK one may have originally had an amp under the seat. The carpet looks like it had a hole cut for the wiring, but there was nothing under there.
Cheers
Matt

Post by Matt »

Return to “ICE and Security”