Clifford Alarm probs

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blue2

Clifford Alarm probs

Post by blue2 »

Does anyone no anything about how to work/fix a clifford alarm. It came fitted on my car and I wasnt given any instruction manual.
The car also has a seperate clifford imobilser (i think its clifford). The immobiliser works fine. The immobiliser has a seperate keyfob that you push on the sensor on the dash.
The alarm however, does not :cry: . It has a keyring with 2 grey buttons. I assume 1 is to lock the doors and set the alarm and the other is to unlock doors and deactivate alarm. The keyring has a green led that lights everytime you push one of the buttons, this works. I have checked the battery in the keyring and its ok.
I have looked in the engine bay and found the alarm. It has a keyhole thing on the top of it. I have no idea what this does and dont have a key for it.
The keyring and alarm look quite old (my car is a kreg) and I havnt had much luck on the clifford website. All their alarms are newer and different.
I'd like to give more details such as a model number but I don't have a clue. It would be great to get the blo*dy thing working as Im fed up with opening the doors and risking scratches with the keys.
Any help on this would be great!! :D
Valentino MR2

Re: Clifford Alarm probs

Post by Valentino MR2 »

Do you have a picture of the keyfob at all? I might be able to work it out from that and your description and then i'll be able to download you the installation manual which you could use to trace the wiring
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I can't get a picture of it at the moment as I dont have a digi camera. But a freind of mine does so I will see if I can borrow it tonight and get you pic e-mailed.
Thanks for your help :D
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Random info that may help, if you take out the glove box they are usually mounted behind it, the alarm black box will have the model on it and maybe the ser. number. Contact clifford vis email (i've done this twice) and they will send you a photocopy of the manual, which in turn gives you all your info, it sounds like a clifford nouvell, or that sort of era. Failing this, i have also spoke to local installers, not sextons or large chains for advice, they were also very helpful. Clifford is part of the directed electronics group which i accessed there US website and kept chasing links till i got a UK div contact details.

hope that helps

stu
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Hi Stu,
Thanks for the reply, Ill have a look behind the glove box but there is a box in the engine bay with the clifford logo on it but no serail number. Am going to cliffords website now. Cheers :D
Dan
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

The box in the engine bay is just the siren. The keyswitch is a service control I believe. The control unit for our clifford is bolted to the floor behind the carpet in the passenger footwell.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Exellent I'll check there as well, hopefully theres a serial number on it still. :D
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Exellent I'll check there as well, hopefully theres a serial number on it still. :D
mista_two

handy andy

Post by mista_two »

if your still havin prob i have a mate called andy he fits alarms and alsorts of ice give him a ring say you see his number on imoc and get a discount!! 07946717534
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks for all the replys. I cant find the alarm unit anywhere in the car, its not behind the glove box or in the boot, under bonnet etc. Checked out the clifford website and it looks like the alarm is the ace 100. But Im now thinking that the unit itself is fooooked as it doesnt make any chirp noises or indicator flashes :( . The strange thing is that the led on the key fob lights when you press the buttons but nothing else happens. Also I cant find the alarm sensor in the caar either. All I have is the immobiliser on the dash and a red thing (looks like a light) above it with clifford written on it. Could this be the sensor?? I have no idea. :cry:
Thanks again
Dan
mista_two

alarming!!!!

Post by mista_two »

maybe some one has stolen you alarm :?:
Turbo Ian

Post by Turbo Ian »

Is this still an ongoing problem for you? I used to fit clifford alarms in my spare time when I was at college to bring in some cash. Firstly the remote - button 1 is for arming & disarming, button 2 is for an option channel, press both together for arm/disarm without confirmation chirps. Check around the battery area for the alarm feeds, there are two, one should be fitted with a 5amp fuse(supply for the system, normally the fuse holders are black with a small length of black wire which will then connect to a red wire. The other fuse should be 20amps, again small length of black wire, this time to red/white tracer which is for the parts of the system which draw more current, indicator flash etc. Also, can you find a small toggle switch which is normally fitted in the glovebox or a cubby hole? this is the 'valet' switch which is used for programming remotes. If this switch is known to you turn the ignition on to position 2 and switch the switch to the other side. If the alarm is alive, i.e. no fuses are blown, it is plugged in and it isn't knackered the LED will glow red. Right still with me? Okay, if this works switch the switch back to where it was, the LED should go out, and turn off the ignition. Now, with remote handy (ensure the battery is good) turn on the ignition, and flick the valet switch back and forth 7 times(if memory serves me correctly) after each backwards & forwards switch a chirp should be heard from the siren - count seven chirps. After the seventh chirp, press button 1 on the remote - you should hear another chirp/maybe two to acknowledge that the alarm has received the signal from the remote, at this point turn the ignition off. The LED should have now turned back off also. Now try pressing button 1 on the remote. If still no joy, remove the two alarm fuses mentioned earlier and replace them to reset the system. Repeat the above. Still no joy then its either knackered, unplugged or the remote is knackered. FYI if I was installing it I would have located the unit under the heater controls by pulling back the centre console carpet at the passenger side. The lock on the siren in your engine bay is to turn off the siren manually, as you don't have the key hope it is switched on or all of this is a waste of time. If you need any other info on cliffords let me know as I have access to all wiring diagrams and some of the trouble shooting information.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks Ian,
I have treid the valet switch but I dont hear any chirps at all. I have an immobiliser also (dont know if that is clifford) but it works from a sensor just below the led. When I turn the ignition off the red led will flash continously until I use touch the immobiliser on the sensor and then the led stops flashing and stays red. Now I can start the engine. I dont get any chirps at all. I have had a look for the wiring and the only obvious wire I can see is a thin blue wire going from the engine bay, into the car and to the battery. Also I cant find any fuses either or the alarm control box. I am starting to think that the previous owner has taken it out and just left the siren in place.
I will keep trying and post up any success that I have.
Thanks again
Dan :D
Turbo Ian

Post by Turbo Ian »

I would assume that the thin blue wire is the bonnet trigger for the alarm. See where this heads into the car through the bulkhead and pull back the trim/carpet inside the car from this area. Some lazy fitters wouldn't bother wiring the live wires to the battery and tap into a wire on the cars loom, so it could still be lurking behind the dash somewhere. If this blue wire is just dangling in the bonnet area or behind the dash it is fair to assume the alarm has gone, however why would they leave the siren as this would make the alarm useless to whoever took it off, and why leave you the remote? The immobiliser with the plug is a totally separate piece of equipment to the alarm. You are looking for a rectangular plastic box approx 6''x3'' and 0.75'' thick. Good luck.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Ive given up. I tried flipping the valet switch but I dont get any chiprs at all. Taken the fuses out and put them back in to restet and then the indicators start flashing about 10 times? I think the unit is knackered as Ive checked the wires and the fuses are ok and the battery is good in the key fob. Cant think of anything else. Anyway thanks for the reply and help.
:D Dan

Return to “ICE and Security”