Rev 1 brakes

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam Tyler

Rev 1 brakes

Post by Adam Tyler »

i'd like peoples opinion on the best performance brake disks for a Rev 1 Tubby. My standard disks are warped to fluck..... I have greenstuff pads and Goodridge hoses all round, is there anything else I can do to improve braking performance without swapping to later calipers???
Frustrated Pilot

Re: Rev 1 brakes

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

yes... just get grooved/drilled or both breaks..!

my breaks are shagged, but i realised the rear claipers were not working!!!!!!

NOT GOOD!!! so if i do anything it will be a break conversion... to fit the biggest i can under the front and just drilled/grooved under rears.

BUT... best not to make the rears bigger... just go 4 the above...
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

honestly for the price you'll pay you'd be better off swapping to the later spec. I did this on mine and the difference was incredible. I'm using standard discs with pagid pads and it stops brilliantly in comparison to the very poor rev1 set up.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Veilside Turbo

Post by Veilside Turbo »

Like I said in another topic, I got some Black Diamond disks and Pagid pads from Fensport (my standard ones kept warping) and its the best money I have spent on my MR2.

Highly recommended!

Regards,
Simon
screech

Post by screech »

sorry bud but a bit of hijacking the thread now, what is needed for a rev 2 brake upgrade. my rev 1 is as everyone already said, poo in the brake dep. other than calipers, discs and pads what else is needed? heard a bracket or something is needed?

cheers
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Pads, discs and calipers is all you need, straight swap near enough. The only difference is the dust cover, either bend it a bit or just remove it.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Adam Tyler wrote:i'd like peoples opinion on the best performance brake disks for a Rev 1 Tubby. My standard disks are warped to fluck..... I have greenstuff pads and Goodridge hoses all round, is there anything else I can do to improve braking performance without swapping to later calipers???

As Marks says, get some rev2/3 brakes around with good pads, maybe skim the discs if they are a little worn.

i just sold a full set to a guy allan white who just need the rears for him mk1 project - he'd prob sell you the fronts as you 50% there (dont fit till you get the rears though)
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

If you change the brakes (im thinking of getting new disc etc) do you have to change them all round? Does just just changing the fronts mean that you'll unbalance the car? As you can see i have no idea about this!!
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

screech wrote:sorry bud but a bit of hijacking the thread now, what is needed for a rev 2 brake upgrade. my rev 1 is as everyone already said, poo in the brake dep. other than calipers, discs and pads what else is needed? heard a bracket or something is needed?

cheers

I have a complete front rev2 brake set for sale. PM if interested.
Jayng

Post by Jayng »

Changing the fronts only is fine. Consider it the same as you would for tyres.

Also, as for upgrading Rev1 brakes aside from going to Rev2 spec.

Uprate the pads
uprate/change brake hoses all round. If they have haven`t been changed on your Rev1 then even standard ones would make a difference!
Change fluid. As above. if your brake fluid looks darker than maple syrup then it`s best to get this sorted as well

As for drilled/slotted discs.... The early R32 GTRs had drilled discs as standard and Nismo made solid discs for them as the drilled ones cracked under heavy use. Going for standard discs should be good enough but they will be expensive!! What`s the cheapest you guys paying for discs now?? I remember paying 80-90 quid each back when I had my Rev2.

Rev2_mike wrote:If you change the brakes (im thinking of getting new disc etc) do you have to change them all round? Does just just changing the fronts mean that you'll unbalance the car? As you can see i have no idea about this!!

Return to “Mechanical”