mk1 speakers

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazylegs

mk1 speakers

Post by crazylegs »

not really a question for all you big power boys but i`m sure someone will help. i want to upgrade my speakers in my mk1 . i have an early car with just the underseat and dash speakers. i dont want to change this as the car is a mint original but i do want to see if i can get a better sound out of the old " radio".has any one upgraded the dash speakers? i want something that will fit in the original mounts and use the original covers but wont vibrate at anything over quarter volume ! and lets not talk about the low frequency response.
Kelvin

Re: mk1 speakers

Post by Kelvin »

There's plenty of 10cm custom fits available. I have just put a set of Kenwood KFC-101E speakers (eBay, 99 pence, brand new, job done) into the front of my MK1 and they're great. 5 minute job, pop straight in, uses original grill and sound good. What's also nice is that they have an adaptor to use the original cabling, so no cutting the block off the end.

I actually took a set of Pioneer custom fits out, which were also Toyota specific, as they had the socket for the Toyota speaker cable block on them already. I haven't driven the car for so long I'd forgotten the speakers didn't sound as bad as standard ones, but there you go, spare set of speakers.

On your radio front, if you want to keep the standard radio, but update the insides, have a trawl through the classic car press. There's quite a big business in re-jigging old 50's car radios to FM sets, so I'm sure the addition of RDS is possible.

Kelvin
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Kev, slightly over the top as this is, i put Infinity kappas in the front of mine in the original holes with covers, no cutting just dropped in, a lot more expensive at £100 but the best money can buy, and the sound is absolutly perfect, when it comes to stereo, you get what you pay for!

stu
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Don't know if this helps but this is what I replaced my front and rear speakers with (after the rears blew!)

Kenwood KFC-PSR107C Speakers
100W Peak Power
Impedance 4 ohms
2 Way speakers
100mm Speaker

JBL GTO320 Speakers
75 Watts Peak Power
Impedance 4 ohms
Mounting depth = 1.5"
Sensitivity: 90dB/W at 1m
Frequency response: 100Hz - 21kHz

They fitted in the stock locations, you can't tell just by looking at the car. Cost me about £100 IIRC (was over a year ago mind), sound quality improved immensely.
T
MattLG

Post by MattLG »

Are Infinity Kappas really that good? I'm trying to improve the sound quality (not the volume) without cutting up the interior. It's the range and crispness that I'm after.

MattLG
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Having playing with audio for a good few years, well 13 to be exact, i rate them at the top, they are better than most mid priced components! they have a strong mid and top end with sweet mid bass driver, you'll never get massive gut busting bass from them. But they're there for the quality and tone in voice and instruments, not you average beep bop dance music. go to a showroom and listen!
hope that helps

stu

Return to “ICE and Security”