Removing abs

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mark Edwards

Removing abs

Post by Mark Edwards »

I'm looking to remove my abs, i don't like the way it works anyway and i'm looking to loose some weight (no sarcasme please JJ! :roll: ). Have any of you done this that could give advise?
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Removing abs

Post by BenF »

Are you really sure you want to do this? Given a choice over ABS vs non-ABS I'd pick ABS every time.

There is minimal extra weight from it as well - a ECU box (500g maybe?) and the ABS pump / reservoir itself (1kg?). To remove it you'd ideally need to run new copper brake pipes everywhere too.

On my car its cut in unexpectedly a couple of times to keep me on the backstuff - and after my trip to the kitty litter at Donington its reminded me how bad my cadence braking 'stiles' are compaired to ABS.
briforbes

ABS

Post by briforbes »

I disconnected mine a few months back because it kept coming on when it shouldn't. I live in Edinburgh, where a lot of the streets are cobbled and very bumpy. I was finding that as I gently braked approaching junctions, roundabouts etc, the ABS would come on, allowing me to keep moving into the car in front - not good. The bumpy roads seemed to be tricking the ABS into coming on when it shouldn't.

If I hadn't had this problem though, I wouldnt have had it disconnected, it is their for a reason...
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

This is the reason i'm looking to remove it, it cuts in when it's really not necessary, especially the drivers front. I know it not the sensor as i've tried others in there too and it still does it. Surely it must weigh more than just 1kg though, it's a fair size lump under the bonnet.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Mark Edwards wrote:This is the reason i'm looking to remove it, it cuts in when it's really not necessary, especially the drivers front. I know it not the sensor as i've tried others in there too and it still does it. Surely it must weigh more than just 1kg though, it's a fair size lump under the bonnet.

Mark, you got some alloys fitted?

The Rev1 ABS seems very sensitive to rolling radius differences from the stock wheels from cars that I've driven. My Rev2 ABS is better even when running my trackday 16" rims.

As a short term fix you could always pull the fuse for the ABS and see what the difference is? If you want to completely remove it though and fit a non PAS master cylinder and brake pipework - that would be quite a job!
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Yeah it's got 16's on but the rolling circumfrence is as close to the original as possible, so i'd hope thats not the issue, i can't remember if it did it with the 14's on as they weren't on there very long before they were changed.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs

Return to “Modifications”