Air Conditioning?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kenny-Boost

Air Conditioning?

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Hey folks - just wondering i've got aircon in my 94 import tubby but when i press the button is doesn't come on the light doesn't come on and the engine revs don't change or anything so i'm sure its not working, when i press the econ button it lights up but again no load on the engine and air isn't being cooled.

Wondering if this is a fuse thats blown or does the thing need regassed?

Thanks guys
Chris

Re: Air Conditioning?

Post by Chris »

Might need a re-gas. If gas is low the air-con compressor will not kick in. Might be bulb on switch if econ is lighting up.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Would the econ light come on if the thing needed a regas?

How can i check the level?

Where is the aircon fuse so i can check that too?
Is there any relays related to the aircon i should check also - i can't find any aircon fuses in the uk spec manual (3S-GE) ....perhaps its a jap only thing?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

If it were a fuse I'd expect neither light to come on - but it's easy to check the fuse, it's either under the front bonnet next to the passenger side headlight, or it's in the engine bay.

As for regassing, I wasn't aware that the light stops working if that's the case, although I've heard of flashing lights if low on gas :?
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

It sounds like 2 things, 1. the bulb/led is gone in the button and 2.It needs a re gas and new seals,before the compressor breaks its cuts out if the gas is low to prevent damage. I got a re gas with lubricant to rejuvenate the seals for £150( this included getting the rest of the old illegal gas out).
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

I'll get it regassed - my mates in that line of work and he regassed my last car for free so i'll get him to do the MR2 for me next time i see him.

Where is the top up valve for it because he won't know where it is.

I'll also change the bulb - how do i change if - is it a normal bulb of integrated into the switch?
Chris

Post by Chris »

It's a shame your not closer mate. The gas in yours is R134a. That's the legal stuff. Would re-gas it for £25. Plenty of places will be able to do this for you. Just hope it's not your condensor that's took a stone. Gets expensive then.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

[quote="Kenny-Boost"]
Where is the top up valve for it because he won't know where it is.

quote]

If i remember correctly, it was under the plastic covering which surrounds the spare wheel under the bonnet.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Thanks for all the replies guy - i'll take a look at the condenser (thats the aircons radiator, correct?) and i'll replace that bulb and see how it goes.

If it is the condenser i'll get in touch with one of the breakers i.e. gtschris.com and see if he has another one :)

Its all just time and money innit lol!

Anyone know how i'm gonna change this bulb?

Return to “Electrical”