cold engine with a mind of it's own

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

edlowndes

cold engine with a mind of it's own

Post by edlowndes »

Hi

I have a mk1, recently when the engine has been warming up it has started to blip the throttle all on its own. When idling the revs constantly rise and fall between around 2-3000 rpm. People in traffic look at me like I'm a right t***er! The other day it overheated too. Anyone know whats wrong?

Ed
waynestoyotamr2

Re: cold engine with a mind of it's own

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Cooling system needs bleeding. It probably has pockets of air in it OR Have you checked that there is actually coolant in the car?
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
lower

Post by lower »

you have air bubbles in the coolant. as the bubbles go past the temp sensor they confuse the temp sensor so the ecu increases the revs as it thinks the engine is cold. if the car is overheating to you probably have an airlock or possibly something else wrong with the coolant system. try bleeding it first.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

as previously said your cooling system needs looking at.i think its probably your wax stat thats given up the ghost.you can do three thing if it has 1: buy a new wax stat from Toyota (mega bucks) 2: take off the air intake look down the throttle body and fine a small hole on the right,block this with a tyre cap.this will stop the bouncing idle.you will have to adjust the tick over.the snag here is that the car will not tick over from cold or if you adjust for that will race when hot. 3:the most sensible option contact Paul Woods and buy a choke conversion kit. About £50 easy to fit and problem solved.you get the added bonus of improved economy as the choke can be switched off after a quater mile,not the two or three as normal.Check the archived posts as there will be hundreds on this problem.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Paul woods convertion... its the way to go even if it turns out to only be air in the system, i would sorely miss this little device if it wasnt on my car................... thats another tenner you owe me woodsy :lol: :lol: , Jinxy

Return to “Mechanical”