|Tony jinxy froude
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Feedback Score: 1
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b
|Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:19 pm Post subject: MK1A vs MK1B, wheels,Tyres,Geometry & other info
|Ok, ive been working on this for days, this is the best i can do, im sure someone can add to it or disagree with points, but its the best list yet.... & yes im blowing my own trumpet =D> , cheers Jinxy
P.S can someone Pleeeeese sticky this for everyone's sanity [-o<
MK1 (A) TO MK1 (B) DIFFERENCES.
* Front bumper is 1? narrower on MK1a than MK1b
* The very early MK1a front bumper is flat at the front & normally painted matt black.
* Front bumper bar iron on mk1a is different than mk1b, *but interchangeable only if you fit the same bumper skin and foam insert (*Paul woods)
* Mk1a does not have central locking from the door key, Mk1b does.
* MK1a has smooth wing mirror housings, Mk1b has textured effect.
* Very early Mk1a had no side skirts from new, *later 1a's (*paul woods)& MK1b did.
* Mk1a had black moulded door & panel protector strips, Mk1b have colour
coded clear plastic strips.
* MK1a cars had front mud flaps as well as rear flaps, MK1b only had rear flaps
* very early MK1a had black unpainted plastic rear sill protectors.
* Mk1a bonnet different from mk1b & not interchangeable ("yes they can" - Paul woods).
* Very early Mk1a had black caps on wheel nuts.
* MK1a has metal (some plastic *P.W.) lower front spoiler, mk1b is plastic. Also MK1a has different front panels.
* Mk1a had ?triangle? alloys, Mk1b has ?teardrop? alloys. MK1a 5.5J & MK1b 6J , so MK1b are slightly wider. ( cheers MartG)
* Mk1a engine cooling grille is metal & was split into two sections, MK1b was plastic & single entry type which protruded further outwards from the body.
* MK1a had roof mounted manual aerial, MK1b had electric aerial mounted on the rear o/s wing.
* MK1a only had sunroof & tintop options, Mk1b had T-bar, Sunroof & tintop options.
* Very early MK1a sunroofs have no dot pattern in the blackout paint. MK1b?s do.
* MK1a had two tone seats, Mk1b are single coloured.
* Mk1a interiors ( excluding seats, headlinings & sunroof cover ) were all black.
* MK1a original radio very basic compared to MK1b.
* Inner door handle backing plates on MK1a different thickness to MK1b & not interchangable between the two.
* MK1a wiper / headlight switches are more squarer than the MK1b's rounded type.
* MK1a has no glove box key lock, Mk1b does.
* Mk1a headlights don?t rise on the first switch position, they don?t have dim/dip, so its side lights only. Mk1b lights do rise on the first position & operate in dim / dip mode with side lights.
* MK1a has sub woofer under driver?s seat, MK1b didn?t have this. Some JDM spec later models do have sub (P.W.)
* Between seat cubby box has lid support on MK1b only, not on MK1a.
* MK1a had only one behind the seat coat hook, MK1b had two.
* MK1a inner door cards are different than on MK1b, switches sit in a semi-circular pod, although the switches are interchangeable.
* The air vents at either end of the dash on a MK1a have silver center knobs, MK1b had black only.
* Radio surround on MK1a is different to MK1b & incorporated a small light.
* Centre arm rest on a MK1a incorporates a padded arm rest, MK1b doesn?t.
* On a MK1a the ashtray is located forward of the gearstick, on a MK1b its to the side of the centre console.
* Heater controls on a MK1a are basic design with levers & knobs for air flow etc, on a MK1b they are push buttons with green L.E.D?s & motorised direction flaps.
* The Mk1a heater control panel incorporates the cigarette lighter, on a MK1b this is housed under the ashtray flap & the cigarette elements are not interchangeable.
* Lights up warning buzzer found on MK1b only & only on ?F? & ?G? reg?s .
* Dash speedo lights on MK1b 'F' & 'G' reg ONLY had dimmer switch fitted.
* MK1a boot trim is different shape to MK1b & not interchangeable.
* MK1a boot has fibre board covers over the inner wing area behind the o/s/ & n/s boot panels. ( cheers Kev )
* Mk1a has no radiator cover trim( rubber gasket stuck on underside of bonnet instead ), MK1b does. *to be confirmed - mk1a may have had a cover but different
* MK1a coolant filling procedure warning sticker on the engine lid is yellow, on a MK1b its blue & white.
* Tyre pressure information sticker on the bottom of the drivers door on a MK1a is different to MK1b.
* MK1a dash gauges have larger increments than MK1b.
* MK1a had no rear speakers, MK1b did.
* MK1a steering wheels had exposed metal supports, MK1b?s were covered.
* MK1a steering wheel 2.5cm larger than MK1b ( cheers MartG)
* MK1a had black front strut top caps, MK1b?s didn?t.
* MK1b T-tops ONLY had front strut brace fitted as standard.
* ECU is NOT interchangeable from MK1a to MK1b
* MK1a?s ECU is more aggressive for fueling than MK1b.
* MK1a weighs less than MK1b. ( cheers Kev )
* MK1a has different radiator brackets to MK1b. ( cheers Kev )
* Mk1a has two mounting bolts on the brake master cylinder, MK1b has three bolts. ( cheers Kev ) (or: mk1a 4 bolts, mk1b2 - to be confirmed - P.woods)
* Air filter on a MK1a is in the engine bay, on a MK1b its in the boot behind the n/s boot panel.
* MK1a drop links are different length to MK1b.
* Brake disc?s are smaller on a MK1a than MK1b, but calipers are same size & interchangeable 9just the piston bit of the calliper - the support bracket is different - P.W)
* Cam covers have ?16 VALVE? in blue on a MK1a, on a MK1b this is in red.
* MAP sensor on a MK1a is square, on a MK1b this is rectangular & NOT interchangeable between the two models.
* Rear suspension subframe is different between a MK1a & MK1b.
* MK1a have single jet injectors, MK1b have twin jet, higher flowing injectors & are interchanglable providing the engine bay loom is changed between the two models.
* MK1a TVIS comes in at a lower RPM than MK1b.
* The air intake temp sensor on a MK1a is on the TVIS manifold ( after throttle body ), on a MK1b its on the intake pipe ( before throttle body )
* Mk1a have a VTV dashpot under the throttle body acting on the throttle stop, MK1b?s don?t have this.
* MK1a has smaller clutch (200mm) MK1b has larger clutch (212mm)
* MK1a has smaller diameter rear anti roll bar than the MK1b.
* MK1a has C50 gearbox, MK1b has C52 gearbox.
* Rear track rod control joints are different on a MK1a than Mk1b
* Struts are different on MK1a than MK1b & are not interchangeable without cutting studs & drilling holes.
* MK1a and MK1b drive shafts are different, having different ends at the hub and not interchangeable.
above list edit: 14/04/07 - updates
MR2 MK1 Wheels, Tyres, etc
Rim size: 14?
Offset: 35 -> 38
Centre bore: 54.1
Standard tyres: 185/60/14
Standard Tyre pressures:
Cold Tyre Inflation Pressure
1.8 / 26 FRONT 2.0 / 28 REAR
MK1a had ?triangle? alloys as standard
MK1b had ?pepperpot? alloys as standard
Larger Wheels that will fit on a MR2 MK1:
Alloys up to 17" have been fitted, but all changes will affect handling
Larger alloys must have the offset within the standard alloy range in order to fit.
Spacers can be used to help achieve correct offset.
tyre size calculator:
castor = 6 deg (don't worry about this too much though )
ft= 1mm neg (stock zero)
rr= 1.5 neg (stock 1 deg)
Polybush replacement - suggested replacement bolts needed:
part numbers, number of bolts in brackets
48068 A (2)
90179 - 12025 (4)
90170 - 16183 (2)
94512 - 01600 (2)
91611 - 60825 (4)
90119 - 10247 (4)
48780 B (2)
48780 C (2)
90179 - 16001 (2)
48703 E (4)
Last edited by Tony jinxy froude on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 10 times in total
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group