Discs and Pads

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

richyrask

Discs and Pads

Post by richyrask »

Hi All

I am looking at fitting new discs and pads and a set of braided hoses to my Mk1. Has anybody got advice on what to fit without going mad on price and also the best place to get them from.

I have done some research and it seems that a lot of people have had problems with aftermarket discs and seem to advise to run standard discs with some uprated pads.

Usage is all road and I dont usually drive like a nut, just occasional fast road use with a daily 10 mile twisty commute.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Rich
AdamR

Re: Discs and Pads

Post by AdamR »

Demon Tweeks had a stash of Ferodo fast road/track pads for mk 1 a while back, really cheap - worked well on the road on my better halfs starlet turbo. They werent listed on the computer though, so you'd need to rant at someone there to go rooting for ya.
Dunno what they've got in discs though - sorry!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Stick with stock discs as they are cheap and easily adequate for the job.

Stock pads are fine for road use.

I use EBC greens but these aren't great for the road until you get some heat in them. They are fairly cheap though.

Pagids are great but you can't get the rears anymore.

Mintex 1144s are pretty good but again you can't get a similar spec on the rears. Avoid 1155s too hard for road use.
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

Hi,

We have the Black diamond Discs and Pads (front and rear available) if you want to replace discs and the pads, they are a good option. Alternativly to stick with the original discs, we have the pagid pads which get very good feedback from customers. Let me know if you would like any info.

Dan

www.DCDezign.com
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Dan do you do the rears in Pagids too? It just last I heard they weren't available any longer.
richyrask

Post by richyrask »

The problem that I have heard with some of these discs like Black Diamond is that they are standard discs that have been re machined after manufacture and this can lead to stress points causing failures. I dont want to spend a fair bit of cash and get no increase in performance.

I dont think I get much heat into the brakes either on the road as being a bike rider I carry as much speed as I can into the corners. I guess I can describe my driving as smooth, not flat out, brake, corner, flatout. O.K so maybe this isnt quite the right track style but it works for me on the road.

Thanks for the advice already given, any more appreciated.

Rich

Return to “Modifications”