Donnington - Sunday Feb 26th - £99

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Re: Donnington - Sunday Feb 26th - £99

Post by jonb- »

tamiyauk wrote:That sounds excellent, were there any other IMOCers there?
I'll be interested to know when you go again, although I'll be in the slow group with my MK1, I am pretty good at Donnington on TOCA race driver though :D
Looking at your garage your car looks to be modded for serious track use, is that the case? No sign of bling on that beast 8)

Having had a play + ride in the car i feel i can give you an answer. While he has started to strip it for track use he's still got a few creature comforts.

A big heavy turbo engine lid for starters ;)
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

LOL, the engine lid has had the metal undertray removed, its pretty light tbh........ :wink:

It did perform very well at the track, and i'll definitely go again before anywhere else, mainly because I know the track so can concentrate on getting the car set-up, need to get some housey stuff done first so may be a couple of months before I go again but will post up on here.

No more MR2's im afraid in my group, just a MK3 in the slower group, but I reckon a Mk1 (or 3 for that matter) with some decent tyres would easily be up to speed in the intermediate group, the best scrap I was having was with an old M3 which I left for dead on the faster stuff but closed up on me on the twistier sections cos he had sticky tyres on and knew what he was doing too, so overall the lap times were pretty similar.

Oh, and no bling on my car, the blingest parts are the wheels and exhaust and id happily swap the wheels for something for less bling and less weight!

PS...the cars a PITA on the road!!!
tamiyauk

Post by tamiyauk »

What sticky tyres would you recomend for a MK1? I know that Yokohama A539's are really good but is there a grippier tyre than will fit 15" MK3 rims?
I'll keep my eye out for your next Donny visit, I really fancy the Anglesey trip but it's miles away for me.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I'll be at the next donny trip so there should be a few 2's representing :) Want to get a few of us to bedford too, the GT circuit is really good.

As for sticky tyres, Yokohama a048's are really respected. Toyo 888's are sticky but tend to disappear quickly.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”