Buying a Helmet - advice/suggestions?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mk1chick

Buying a Helmet - advice/suggestions?

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Well if I am going to do one or two trackdays, I think it would be a good idea to buy my own helmet.
Would like suggestions of what type (open face?) or make to go for, and also any good 'girlie' ones out there.
Also what kind of price to expect
I had a quick look on ebay, but there were hundreds and i got confused :?

EDIT: not too girlie tho'! LOL
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JP-vintage-crash- ... dZViewItem
Squizz

Re: Buying a Helmet - advice/suggestions?

Post by Squizz »

The simple answer is: "Spend as much as you can afford" ! :shock:

We've just kitted out Karen for her MR2 Challnge racing this season, and bought a Sparco Formula helmet for £225

I'd suggest a full face one these days. What's the point of protecting the top and back of your head, if your face is the part that's going to interface with the steering wheel/dashboard???
[-X

Rich
www.karenphillips.co.uk
\:D/
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Squizz wrote:I'd suggest a full face one these days. What's the point of protecting the top and back of your head, if your face is the part that's going to interface with the steering wheel/dashboard???

ahh - good point

Also are there any special regulations for track use helmets?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Trackday helmets seem to be pretty unregulated to me, mine's never been checked. I picked mine up off ebay for £40 new, it's a full face Cromwell Clubman, has the gold motorbike stamp thingy and pretty good reviews (Best budget helmet by one of the larger biker mags). As Lauren has said the cheaper helmets tend to be heavier, mine isn't too bad but I don't have a lot of experience in the field.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
Squizz wrote:I'd suggest a full face one these days. What's the point of protecting the top and back of your head, if your face is the part that's going to interface with the steering wheel/dashboard???

ahh - good point

Also are there any special regulations for track use helmets?

should be a type A motorbike helmet at least. we don't check helmets but if you are obviously wearing something that looks dodgy or is a really bad fit then we will stop you going out on track.

Your head at the end of the day. Like Limey says you can pick up helmets for £40 but compare them with a £200 helmet (like mine) and they are about 3 times the weight! Also the more you spend the better the fit seems to be.

On your head be it. etc.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Spend the majority of your budget on your helmet.

Personally I would go for a good make, Bell, Shoei, Arai. The more you spend the lighter it will be and the snugger the fit will be.

Dont ever buy a helmet off the net unless you've tried on the exact make and size before.

When trying on a helmet you should tighten the chin straps and shake your head left and right. If the visor moves enough to obscure your vision its too loose. Also with the Chin strap tightened try to pull the helmet off the front of your head (obviously if it comes off its too big)

As for "girly" type helmets.. you can get them sprayed any colour you like.

If you're going for open face or full face then its totally up to you. If you're going to be using saloon cars then go for an open face. More comfort and you get much better visibility. Also there's no real incidents where the cockpit in a saloon car wouldn't protect your face and as you're not racing everyone won't be pushing 110%.

If you were racing on the other hand I would say get a full face. As it will protect your skin from fire (should one break out in the cockpit after a crash)

Go to Demon Tweeks or Grand Prix Racewear and have a look around. Try on as many different makes as you like and buy the one that you feel is the best. The best way I found to do this was not look at the price when deciding.

I've got a Bell Sport II and a Bell K1, both are very good helmets and have a wider visor arpeture than that of a similar spec Arai and Shoei. I tried on a wide range of helmets and found the sizes, fit and comfort weren't generic between makes, so another good reason to try before you buy.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

really good advice everyone
yep - i think i should now def try before buy.
hadn't really thought of that - was just going to measure my head :roll:
thx
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Rally Nuts were the cheapest when I bought my Sparco open face helmet:
http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/

If you want to try some helmets on for size, Nick Whale Sportcars in Bromsgrove have got a Sparco racewear shop:
http://www.nickwhale.com/sportscars/NWS ... ewear.html
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Buy a good one. That's all I can say.
Type A is the better approval, Type B lesser. ACU Gold is also another high approval, but not often recognised in the car world.

Shoei, Arai, Quantum, Bell etc...

Get a full face just in case you ever decide to do (or try) something like a seven or even pillion riding on a bike.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Just to point out, Where people are talking about Type-A / Type-B they mean the BLUE or RED British Standards Kite Mark (BSI 6658-1985) on the side of the helmet.

Any Brand helmet that bears the Blue Type-A or Red Type-A/FR is a good helmet... However they are thin on the ground now.

The BSI test specification required the manufacturer to submit samples from every manufactured batch for testing - thus you are assured that they are good helmets!!

99% of Motorcycle Helmets are now tested to a European specification ECE22-05. This specification does not require regular batch testing - only the test of the development helmets (Nothing stops manufacturers actually making inferior helmets - who's going to check up on them!) This is the very reason the MSA (Motor Sports Assoc) will not accept ECE22-05 helmets for club racing EG MR2 Challenge.

The Car specific helmet certifications SNELL etc will only be found on Racing helmets in the UK and are therefore expensive.

The ACU Gold specification means absolutely nothing for Car use… Again MSA will not recognise it.

So… Advice,
Steer clear of large bike shops, their stock will have moved over to ECE22-05 spec helmets two years ago!
Don’t Mail order unless they automatically include a return policy if it does not fit.
Do get a Full-Face helmet so that you can use it in a Caterham etc.

As most ‘less expensive’ helmets have fixed linings – Buy yourself a Balaclava – that way the helmet isn’t all Minging next time you put it on! Plain old Sparco Nomex Balaclavas are around 12 quid from GPR… However I would recommend a Carbon-X one at 27.50 as they are so much more comfortable and less sweaty!

Prices,
An OMP Integrale Plus (BSI-A) 95.35 www.gprdirect.com

This is less than you would pay for a generic Bike helmet anyway… and since it is BSI marked, it’s legal for bike use as well!

Hope that helps
Paul
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

also there is a snell helmet accreditation thats the same as the BS one, but i cant remember it off hand
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

cartledge_uk wrote:also there is a snell helmet accreditation thats the same as the BS one, but i cant remember it off hand

Off the top of my head is something like '9500'. Snell certified helmets tend to be pricey and it is just another accepted certification.

For example my helmet is an A/FR as its saloon specific. The 'FR' means fire retardant.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”