MK2 : Various video clips from trackdays

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

MK2 : Various video clips from trackdays

Post by BenF »

OK, I've just sorted out the uploading of some video clips for your enjoyment - they're all relating to my Turbo:

The Rolling Road

Mine on the rollers, pulling what turned to be a 308bhp run .. ==Link==
(1MB)

The Nurburgring
Nurburgring - Parade Lap 2002 - A trip I did with the folks from the SE MR2DC Region:
==Link here== (9MB)

On the same trip, getting it sideways in the wet at Bergwork the previous day
==Link Here== (2MB)

Anglesey

A fantastic little circuit, great drive there and back too. Watch out for the North Wales police though ...

One lap of In car footage - April 2004 ==Link == (2.5MB)
Lap chasing an Elise, camera outside - November 2003 ==Link == (6.3MB)
Best of Anglesey Goonage, April 2004 ==Link== (2.5MB)
Anglsey Oops Clips from April 2004 ==Link== (2.5MB)

If you're only going to download only one, I'd probably go for the Goonage clip.
Sidewinder

Re: MK2 : Various video clips from trackdays

Post by Sidewinder »

You did well to catch some of those fishtails! Kinda reminded me of the mad fishtailing before my crash last year :cry:

When (if?) I get my new tubby on the road, I'll definately get myself a couple of those mini cameras and a 12v VCR permanently installed in the car for similar videos.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by BenF »

Nige wrote:You did well to catch some of those fishtails! Kinda reminded me of the mad fishtailing before my crash last year :cry:

LoL - I caught most of them - more often they were big long slides which were fun to control - those cheap Hankook tyres I've got on the rear really were good fun.

As for fishtails - there comes a point where you can't react quickly enough. This isn't an 'approved' technique, but if I've got more than one lock of opposite lock on I let go of the steering and catch it again when its straight - this only works in certain circumstances though. I wouldn't ever do this on the road.

When (if?) I get my new tubby on the road, I'll definately get myself a couple of those mini cameras and a 12v VCR permanently installed in the car for similar videos.

For more info on my setup, have a look at the post I put toegther for the Mk1 footage from Donnington - lots of links to the guys selling bulletcams etc

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ben, I've done Anglesey a few times and i only seem to be able to provoke understeer on the Hairpin.

Any tips? :D

Jim
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jimbo wrote:Ben, I've done Anglesey a few times and i only seem to be able to provoke understeer on the Hairpin.

Jim

You are going into fast basically and getting on the power too early. Thats it.
gmtc

Post by gmtc »

Awesome stuff Ben.
What was your camera/microphone setup for the forward-looking nurbugring shots. The camera was really steady and not much wind noise to run the sound.

Graham.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jimbo wrote:Ben, I've done Anglesey a few times and i only seem to be able to provoke understeer on the Hairpin.

Jim

LoL - for goonage potential, you can't beat a set of cheap hard rear tyres with some extra air in, and the Anglesey circuit.

If you're getting understeer everywhere, try adding 2-3psi of extra air to the rear tyres of the car. This will make the rear more lively.

Next is technique into the corner. Basically, I tend to unsettle the rear by turning in slightly early, quite quickly. If the rear is going to come and play you'll know about it quickly. Keep a little power in, get ready to add/remove opposite lock to get you around the corner. Look ahead to where you want to go, and steer towards that point.

It goes without saying, but make sure there's no one behind you when you're provoking powerslides in corners. Expect to get it wrong a few times and end up on the grass before you get the hang of it.

My turbo also has a LSD which helps the slides around the hairpin - I found my Mk1 (without LSD) at the same corner wouldn't powerslide quite as easily.

HTH! I'm certainly planning to head back to Anglesey again this year - if you're going, drop me a line and if it works out I'll be able to show you in person :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

gmtc wrote:Awesome stuff Ben.
What was your camera/microphone setup for the forward-looking nurbugring shots. The camera was really steady and not much wind noise to run the sound.

Graham.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95 has the info on my setup.

Since 2002 the Nurburg management has have banned filming which is a great shame IMO, so of course all the footage you have seen is from that era and 'complied' in later years ;)

For the forward looking shots, the camera was mounted in the front bumper, near the foglights. The mic tends to be down near the ashtray / gearstick - seems to work well, with not too much wind noise.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Nice clips Ben ! you should taken out a few of those bikers though, cheeky gets !!! :lol:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

I have a 500 meg 55 min long clip of me naling it round a track, all in car foootage, just need to host it up.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”