MR2 Challenge Regs

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andylancaster3000

MR2 Challenge Regs

Post by andylancaster3000 »

I'm a student at Loughborough Uni and have just jointly bought a car with a friend with a hope to race it next year. The car needs a little bit of work to get it running properly but once that is complete it is race preparing it.

I have a couple of questions regarding the cage before we start:

Does the roll cage used have to be purchased (as the tyres do) from red dragon? I ask this as being students we are running on quite a tight budget and the Red Dragon cage is quite expensive. Would it be allowed to have one built/build one? I can't see a problem if it complies with MSA rules and the scrutineers pass it or is there a challenge rule that it has to be bought?

Thanks,
Andy.
Dave Goodhand

Re: MR2 Challenge Regs

Post by Dave Goodhand »

For regs for the cage if it has to be FIA approved then I doubt a fabricated cage will be up to it.

Unfortunately motorsport is expensive.. and if you're on a tight budget now.. if you crash and need to replace certain things, or even engine rebuilds.. its worth considering.

It'll all tie into the budget but even Go-karting I was spending £25,000 a year and that was a very low end budget :(
andylancaster3000

Now got a copy of the regs and yes, it says the cage must be bought from them. Understandable as it stops people buying fancy welded in cages or using unsafe ones.

However, what the regs don't make clear is to what standard the belts and seat used must be. Obviously the belts must be FIA approved and within date but doesn't say whether they have to be 4, 5 or 6 point minimum. Also, does the seat have to be FIA approved aswell?

Thanks again,
Andy.
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Yeah i think the seat has to be FIA aproved as well. Went for 4point harness when building my failed project.

Good luck with the preparation mate! Throw some pictures up and keep us all informed with a running update. Or even set up a website with full datails!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

andylancaster3000 wrote:Now got a copy of the regs and yes, it says the cage must be bought from them. Understandable as it stops people buying fancy welded in cages or using unsafe ones.

However, what the regs don't make clear is to what standard the belts and seat used must be. Obviously the belts must be FIA approved and within date but doesn't say whether they have to be 4, 5 or 6 point minimum. Also, does the seat have to be FIA approved aswell?

Thanks again,
Andy.

If you have the blue book this will tell you what the current regs are regarding belts. It used to be 4-point, but i have a feeling 5/6point is now a requirement. Basically it will be minimum safety requirements for racing as per blue book.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
andylancaster3000

Been trying to get as much info as I can without the Blue Book as mine is 150 miles away at the moment!
I'd heard that the minimum may have gone up to 5 point and that a plumbed extinguisher is also a requirement in 2006.

I'll try and keep pictures posted. I think i'll make sure the paintwork is in better condition beforehand though!

Andy
Matt_J

Post by Matt_J »

4 point is fine, although 5/6 is recommended.

They must however be 3" belts not the 2" versions.

Seats have to be proper ones too although the date requirement is only for FIA sanctioned events so unless you are doing the BTCC a used one off ebay or one of the race car websites will be fine, same with the belts as long as they are 3".

Shame they've made people source cages from one source, but the prices have always been reasonable and it stops issues at scruiteneering as they are all the same spec.
reggie

Post by reggie »

If you're going for a safety harness from e-bay, make sure it is both FIA approved and has not been involved in a crash. Most harnesses will have a special piece of stiching that will give in a crash to reduce the impact. Once this has occured, the belt must be replaced.

Also, you're right with the extinguisher. This year, the requirement is for a fully plumbed in system. I found a good place to order from would be demon tweaks. Give them a call and try to strike a deal. I found them very friendly and knowledgable.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”