Possible answer to the old debate? IC VS CC

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mikejc

Re: Possible answer to the old debate? IC VS CC

Post by Mikejc »

:lol: Ok, sounds liike a plan to me :roll: :wink:

Mikejc
jonno

Post by jonno »

I have just noticed that its dry today so I will be taking mine out for a blast and then having alook over the motec logs when i get back.

Its bound to be more fun than christmas shopping :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:I'll see if I can find out a little more about the PE1919T. I must admit that I like the fact that it's a direct replacement, not to mention how cheap I can get it also!

How much can you get it for? New? It *may* be a good turbo, but without knowing more about it...

You may consider a regular CT26 hybrid. I've got a bit of a special CT26 in that it's effectively what an Owens Stage4.5 would be. It's got 360deg thrust bearing, steel turbine wheel clipped slightly for improved flow, large GT compressor wheel, etc. Because of the thrust bearing and the clipped wheel, it should be very laggy, but looking at the datalogging and after driving it for a while it doesn't seem that bad at all. Very nice power delivery. Here's a plot:

You can see it hits full boost by 3700RPM, even without proper boost control!

Mikejc wrote: :lol: That aside, you think the GT28 is worth looking into? Given that I only plan on running 1/2bar.

I don't know, since you're not going to be running the boost that these turbos are capable of. ISTR Someone on the list has recently installed the GT28RS and maybe even the Pace CC? Patrick, know anything about this, or have I got it wrong? The point is, there's someone trying this combo, and on a stock bottom end, so it'll be worthwhile to see what they get from it. I reckon it would need 18-19psi and it could show some interesting performance, just not huge power figures that some people in the States have quoted.

Last edited by MR2Mania on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonno

Post by jonno »

I hope thats a plot from the summer!!

80 degrees inlet temps in December!@#

:)
jonno

Post by jonno »

Just been for a "quick" roadtest, seems no different to before to be honest. Its certainly no worse, but I cant feel any difference for the better. I timed the car through 4th gear from 4k to 7k and it was no faster at 1.9 bar than it was at 1.2 bar. Hopefully the boost plots will show different, in which case it migh just need a couple of degrees ignition advance to sort itself out.

I did attract some attention from a guy in a Golf GTI though who thought I was racing him for some reason - right until I actually started my stopwatch then he seemed to back off - well dissapear :)

Neil.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

jonno wrote:I hope thats a plot from the summer!!

80 degrees inlet temps in December!@#

:)

LOL! Well spotted. That was in April some time. Ambient temps of around 25C, I think, and the car was on boost for some time (that's only a small portion of the whole log, but demostrates the spool up quite well, and the boost v RPM performance).

I also stupidly had the Spearco's IC fan switched off, which as I've seen on another MR2 too, kinda stops cooling airflow through the IC and the temps go through the roof. If the fan was on, it would have been about 60-65C, but that's instantaneous when on boost. The average is lower.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Here's another plot taken a couple of weeks back in more favourable conditions (ie cold ambient temps, fan on IC on constantly). Here, all 4 temps are being logged:

* "User Channel 1" is temp at the air filter
* "User Channel 2" is temp out of turbo
* "Inlet Air Temp" is after the IC, but before throttle body
* "User Channel 3" is temp in inlet manifold, after throttle body

As you can see, air temps after the IC and throttle body don't get above 45C, which is understandable considering the lower ambient temps and the speed the logging was done at. So I'd expect the same, if not better, from a decent CC system.

You can also see the relationship between turbo out temps and final temps.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

MR2Mania wrote:ISTR Someone on the list has recently installed the GT28RS and maybe even the Pace CC? Patrick, know anything about this, or have I got it wrong? The point is, there's someone trying this combo, and on a stock bottom end, so it'll be worthwhile to see what they get from it. I reckon it would need 18-19psi and it could show some interesting performance, just not huge power figures that some people in the States have quoted.

We've fitted both a GT28RS turbo and a Pace Chargecooler to a customer's rev 1 turbo. Unfortunately stock fuelling was only sufficient for 0.8bar boost so until that is rectified (880cc injectors, Apexi Power FC) we'll not see the potential of either upgrade. Thor's dyno was showing a healthy ~270bhp (hubs, ~300 flywheel) before the run was aborted though. :)

Rogue

Return to “Modifications”