Hello and some noobie Mk1 questions

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scarface GTti

Hello and some noobie Mk1 questions

Post by Scarface GTti »

Firstly a big hello, i`ve had a look around your forum and it looks great. I`ve recently sold my Supra Twin Turbo and am now looking for some extra kicks. I`m presently looking at purchasing a Mk1 MR2 purely for trackday use.
My question concerns the bodykit. I`m intending on completely stripping the interior, dash, spare, washer bottles and everything like that to lighten it as best i can. But if i were to remove all the bodykit and rear spoiler is it going to upset the handling? I doubt the car will ever reach more than 100 mph on any of the tracks i`m thinking of running it on, so would the full removal of the bodykit upset the handling or is it best to leave it on? Has anyone ever tried this? Many thanks.
kevin..in

Re: Hello and some noobie Mk1 questions

Post by kevin..in »

as the spoiler is a 10 min bolt on/off job give it a try and let us know what you find :wink:
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

The rear spoiler wasn`t really a worry as i don`t think that`ll do much below top speed. Its the skirt kit i was a bit more worried about. What do you think?
King Stromba

Post by King Stromba »

I read the spoiler creates low pressure over the engine which aids the flow of air over the engine and increases cooling. Id leave it be.
Digital

Post by Digital »

The American market mk1 didn't have a rear spoiler did it? I wouldn't imagine it would make that much difference sub 100mph.
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

King Stromba wrote:I read the spoiler creates low pressure over the engine which aids the flow of air over the engine and increases cooling. Id leave it be.

Sounds like a good point but equally i have seen the odd one in Japan without. I wonder if you jack the hatch above the engine up by 10mm along the opening edge it would have the same effect by creating a draw of air through the engine compartment?
dex

Post by dex »

Very early Mk1's came without the spoiler but Toyota added the spoiler because of excessive lift at the back end, the spolier almost eliminates the lift but not quite.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Digital wrote:The American market mk1 didn't have a rear spoiler did it? I wouldn't imagine it would make that much difference sub 100mph.

IIRC, there was a lower spec'ed mk1 in the US with a sub 1600cc engine which didn't have the rear spoiler.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

Ok, i`ll probably leave that on then. I can`t see the side skirts doing an awful lot so i`ll sling them as i guess they probably weigh a bit.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Speedy wrote:
Digital wrote:The American market mk1 didn't have a rear spoiler did it? I wouldn't imagine it would make that much difference sub 100mph.

IIRC, there was a lower spec'ed mk1 in the US with a sub 1600cc engine which didn't have the rear spoiler.

They call it the 'stripper' ISTR! Windy up windows, godawful interior and seats, steel wheels etc... I think they got that version for both the 1500 and 1600 models.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

BTW, what year car is it? if its an 87+ then if you take the front splitter off they look bloody awful as that hides an area that had a steel panel on the earlier cars... so you'll get a kind of nasty hole (an unpleasant condition, so I'm told!).
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

The car i`m looking at buying is a late `86 car. I`ll have to read up on the differences between the a and b model to see which one this is.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Speedy wrote:

aw10 had an eight valve engine from the Tercel about 80 BHP
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

For what its worth, I would leave the spoiler on JMHO.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
anna

Post by anna »

Scarface GTti wrote:I doubt the car will ever reach more than 100 mph on any of the tracks i`m thinking of running it on, so would the full removal of the bodykit upset the handling or is it best to leave it on?

Try it - see what happens ;) :P

If it handles like jelly - put it back on! (probably easier to mess about with the spoiler than the skirts etc)
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

King Stromba wrote:I read the spoiler creates low pressure over the engine which aids the flow of air over the engine and increases cooling. Id leave it be.

Yeah, the transparent spoiler above the rear window (with Toyota written on it) is designed to help channel the airflow off the rear of the cabin and then directly down on to the central area of the main spoiler at the rear of the car. In so doing so the vast majority of the wind flow completely skips over the engine bay lid area and so creates a negative air pressure above the engine lid. This then encourages air to be drawn up from beneath the car and up through the engine bay and out of the open slats on the engine bay lid and so helping cooling the engine. Tell you what, these Toyota engineers, they ain’t daft! :wink:

During the 80’s my Dad had close links with Toyota dealers through his job - I still remember seeing the promotional literature when the car was launched when I was a kid. In this lit they had some photos of the MK1 wind tunnel testing and there was a side on shot showing the airflow doing just this. I was well impressed :D

Not sure about the side skirts I’m afraid, but they look good! :wink:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Not a bad pic but unfortunately doesn't show the engine bay. :(

It does however show why so many Mk1 T-tops leak. Look at the airflow on the side window, the water gets blown up and over if the seal isn't good.

The rear triangles on the side skirts are designed to reduce the drag caused by the rear wheels IIRC.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

COOOL!!!! Thats 'em! :D Wow, blast from the past there! :D I seem to remember one a bit more side on which is where my Dad pointed out this negative pressure thing above the engine bay lid? Or it might just have been the picture at the top and the 20 years since have fogged my memories :wink: Either way, you can still see the clear spoiler above the rear window doing it’s job directing the air straight on to the main spoiler at the back. :D
System-G

Post by System-G »

If you still have not bought a MKI, look for the early (1a) Pre '87 without body kit (as pictured above in Limey's post) also have a moon roof (sun roof) rather than T-Bars and are already slightly lighter than the 1a/b's with OEM body kits and T-Bars.

As far as rear spoiler is concerned, IMO it would not alter air-flow through the engine bay if removed as air is taken into the engine bay from the underside of the car. Air moving over the roof creates a "vaccume" over the the engine bay lid thus drawing air up from under the car (if that makes sense...). This is also where the whole concept of bunny ears (air scoops) breaks apart.
The spoiler itself I'd imagine only ads to downforce - and being RWD, it's quite important (unlike some chaved up hatch backs with bi-plane wings stuck on with pritstick :roll: )

Good luck with the project and welcome to IMOC 8)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Scarface GTti

Post by Scarface GTti »

O.k guys, i think i`ll leave the kit on and look at saving weight from other places. The interior and dash will be coming out so that will weigh a bit. Anyone know the best place to get a rollcage from for a Mk1?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”