Turbo timers

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazza9t9

Turbo timers

Post by dazza9t9 »

Hi all, what is everyone's thoughts on turbo timers? im looking for one for my tubby but really done know which one is the best. someone told me that its just a case of which make you want or how much you want to spend, is this true? basically they are all the same?? my self i quite fancy the HKS type-1 but there is a few others that look good too,
Sidewinder

Re: Turbo timers

Post by Sidewinder »

The plain vanilla ones run the engine for a set time, whereas some of the new generation (sounds flash, huh?!) of turbo timers measure how long/how fast the engine has been used and automatically adjust their operating time accordingly.

I don't have one on my car at the moment, so can really comment on the best one to go for. My previous tubby had a Blitz one that did the job, although the guy who fitted my Clifford alarm stole it and then denied all knowledge of it being in the car in the first place...
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Rowland »

Just in case you weren't aware it is an offence to leave an unattended vehicle with the engine running. Regulation 98, Construction & Use Regs 1986 creates an offence of 'quitting' a motor vehicle.
This applies not only when the vehicle is on the UK roads but also on your driveway too.

Not looking to put a downer on you but thought it might be you worth knowing, people can and do get cautioned over this.

:D
craig

Post by craig »

I used to just let mine run for 2 minutes every time. I now have a Blitz FATT turbo timer on mine.

Well chuffed. Only set me back 100 notes!
pecky

Post by pecky »

my timer is set to 1 1/2 mins unless been driving really hard then i increase it a bit, at the end of the day they all do the same job
biscuitsbrown

Post by biscuitsbrown »

I have an HKS type o turbo timer which would automatically set the time depending on the way you drive or you can have pre-set times at 30 sec intervals! It looks good and worked really well until about 12 months ago when it suddenly decided to effectively detach itself from the cars electronics!! What i mean is all the connections are still intact and the timer itself still works and even the voltmeter works but when you turn off the ignition, instead of the engine running on and turning off at the set time, the engine just turns straight off yet the timer commences its countdown!! Bizarre!! Nothing was changed on the car between it working and not and i've examined every part of it, even spoken to fitters but still doesn't work!! :?

regards Stu
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

unless you drive like a moron on boost all the way to your destination you don't actually need a turbo timer. A mile of off boost driving will cool things down sufficiently.

Don't forget, while the car is sitting still and engine is still running it quickly starts to heat soak meaning everything starts getting hot. Hardly much point in that is there.

Coolant gets hot as not flowing air through the radiator
coolant gets hotter as no air being dragged out of the engine bay
oddly enough the intake temps start rising very quickly as no air is being dragged out from the engine bay
guess what - the oil starts getting cooked in the engine too

Aint worth the effort on the road and as someone pointed out they are illegal to use on the road too ( unless you sit in the car - why?)
will777

?

Post by will777 »

do any of you have problems regarding your alarm? i wouldnt mind a timer but dont think i can as i have a cat 1 alarm and cant see how to arm it after the engine switches off?
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

no problem with cat 1
since when you switch off ur car take the key out, turbo timer kick in keep the car running, after that the alarm will do its business, all depend on make and wiring
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Got a HKS TT bought off eBay from Taiwan cost £56 but I don't think he sells anymore. All I would say is if you want it to be an easy job buy the wiring harness as well costs about £10-11 I got mine from www.grahamgoode.com. With the harness there's only 2 wires to run & connect 1 to the ECU & 1 to the handbrake. In answer to biscuitsbrown check out the handbrake wire, if it is broken it will switch off immediately key is turned.
ANDY FINDLAY

Post by ANDY FINDLAY »

i have 1 fitted but its a simple switch with a 1min and 3min next to the fog light switch any one know which make this could be :)
craig

Post by craig »

I have a BLITZ FATT on mine. Cost me £100. Uses a control box to determine time off.

Comes with loads of other features. LOVE IT :D

Return to “Electrical”