Debadging

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Leon.

Debadging

Post by Leon. »

I note that RedMR2 has bebadged his '2. :roll:

I want to remove the text on the boot lid - 'Toyota' and 'GTi...', is it easy to do? Any chance of it f****** up the paintwork?

Ta
gtech

Re: Debadging

Post by gtech »

Badges on the rear are bonded on, removed mine with a heat gun on LOW heat and gently heated the badge then slid a piece of card under the lettering and eased it off the paintwork, cleaned the area up with some white spirit then a bit of meguiars scratchX to put a nice even shine over the whole area, could'nt tell badges had been on there :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
craig

Post by craig »

Hi mate,

I had mine done by the bodyshop when I had the bootlid sprayed etc.

So I'm not sure the badges will come off using a hairdryer or whether they have pins in them. I know the silver Toyota badge is held in with pins.

Danny W has done this mod himself. He may look at this. If not send him a PM.

HTH

Craig :)
craig

Post by craig »

gtech wrote:Badges on the rear are bonded on, removed mine with a heat gun on LOW heat and gently heated the badge then slid a piece of card under the lettering and eased it off the paintwork, cleaned the area up with some white spirit then a bit of meguiars scratchX to put a nice even shine over the whole area, could'nt tell badges had been on there :-)

Damn dude, you must have just beat me to the submit button :lol:
gtech

Post by gtech »

:)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

cheers guys

I now have to decide whether I've got the balls to do it!!

:)
craig

Post by craig »

You'll be right mate, follow Gtech's guide and you won't go far wrong! :)

Cheers,

Craig
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Do it! its easy, took me about an hour from start to finish to do mine. just make sure you warm the glue up well to start with (i used a hairdryer) and have some t-cut or similar at hand to polish it all up with afterwards. oh and i didn't have any cloths handy when i did mine so i rubbed the glue off with my fingers! worked a treat but i got some wicked blisters afterwards!

Cheers!
DannyW
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Danny, Danny, Danny :roll: !!

How do you know when the glue is warm enough? Do you just keep trying to ease off the badges (lettering)?

:wink:
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

thats right mate, keep trying it until its soft enough to lift the corner of the badge up, then push a credit card or similar under it and work it round the edges until the badge comes off. you'll be surprised that you can be quite rough with it and not actually damage the paint.

Have a go mate it's pretty self explanatory when you come to do it.

Cheers!
DannyW
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Will do matey,

Much appreciated....

Leon
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

DannyW wrote:thats right mate, keep trying it until its soft enough to lift the corner of the badge up, then push a credit card or similar under it and work it round the edges until the badge comes off. you'll be surprised that you can be quite rough with it and not actually damage the paint.

Have a go mate it's pretty self explanatory when you come to do it.

Cheers!
DannyW

EXACTLY how I did mine on both my 2's....
Rory

Post by Rory »

Do it! My tubby is de-badged front and back and I think it looks well sweet! Check my profile.

Rory
steve b

Post by steve b »

I removed a GT-S badge from my bootlid with a new stanley work knife blade, slid it under the badge and just pushed it across to 5 mins + a clean up. I didn't care if i scratched it as it's being sprayed anyway, as it happened i didn't scratch it.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

All done!

Used hairdryer, creditcard, white spirit and wax polish - about an hour

Looks great 8)

Cheers :D
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Rory wrote:Do it! My tubby is de-badged front and back and I think it looks well sweet! Check my profile.

Rory

What did you use to patch over the holes when you took the front badge off?
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Rory »

[quote=What did you use to patch over the holes when you took the front badge off?[/quote]

My tubby had been de-badged before I got it. Im sure it wont cost you much to have the small holes on the front filled and sprayed.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”