Crystal Headlight users

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RikH77

Re: Crystal Headlight users

Post by RikH77 »

got some out on in 30 mins this eve with nb+ - defo glass.

need to wait til next dark drive now :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

i need to gets me a set of these :mrgreen:

old ones look.... well, OLD! lol
Juliuswws

Crystal headlight upgarde

Post by Juliuswws »

Hey Guys,

Thinking to upgrade my headlights to these.
Would anyone bought and installed it few years ago could let me know if the reflective layer peeling off or not?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Crys ... Sw7UJa6thV
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If you don't mind spending money for something made by an actual company just get a set of Raybrigs and some PIAA bulbs
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

I wouldn't mind the spending too much, but the Raybrigs have plastic lens and no E marking. I would prefer glass lens.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I replaced the stock JDM headlights in my turbo with a pair of ebay crystal headlights and Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs in September 2016. I purchased them from the same ebay seller as in your link, but of course there's no guarantee that he's still obtaining them from the same source.

But whilst I don't do a lot of night driving, they are a big improvement on stock and made the front fogs look "yellow" by comparison. So I fitted H3C Xenon Extreme White lamps in the fogs to match.

I don't have a garage, so the car sits on the street exposed to all the weather and rain, and 3 years later I can't see any signs of rust or flaking of the reflectors, as you can see in this photo taken today.

And of course they are e marked and glass. I know the Raybrigs are the first choice of many on here and have a good reputation. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice, and how deep your pockets are :D

Paul
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Pauln wrote:I replaced the stock JDM headlights in my turbo with a pair of ebay crystal headlights and Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs in September 2016. I purchased them from the same ebay seller as in your link, but of course there's no guarantee that he's still obtaining them from the same source.

But whilst I don't do a lot of night driving, they are a big improvement on stock and made the front fogs look "yellow" by comparison. So I fitted H3C Xenon Extreme White lamps in the fogs to match.

I don't have a garage, so the car sits on the street exposed to all the weather and rain, and 3 years later I can't see any signs of rust or flaking of the reflectors, as you can see in this photo taken today.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote

http://www.mr2.org.uk/images/headlight.jpg

And of course they are e marked and glass. I know the Raybrigs are the first choice of many on here and have a good reputation. At the end of the day it's down to personal choice, and how deep your pockets are :D

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you very kindly for the effort taking the picture!
This is the exact reply I was hoping for! i will go ahead and buy a set of these.
I'm already on Osram Nightbreakers, they are very good and lasting long. I got this set 7 years/~120000kms ago and they are still going. I don't know how many hours I put into them, but I mostly drive at night, so a lot for certain.

I could spend more on these, but why would I...these are perfect.

Thanks again!
Julius
Race Idiot

Re: Crystal headlight upgarde

Post by Race Idiot »

Juliuswws wrote:I wouldn't mind the spending too much, but the Raybrigs have plastic lens and no E marking. I would prefer glass lens.

I was gonna say that shouldn't matter, but then I realised youre in Ireland and I'm assume you'll get clobbered at inspection.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Got mine the other week, I'm very happy how they look. Needed a little care, but its great for the price.

- Washed it out with warm water + detergent which slightly improved clarity. Afterall its comes from a factory, not a cleanroom

- Added a washer at the hinge and adjusted clamping spring length and tension. Both were slightly different.

- Both had to be sealed on their bottom. I used Dirko.

Installation went effortlessly.

Got a set of Osram Night breaker Lasers and Philips RacingVision +150%s on black friday for good price so I'm set now. Will see how long they'll last.

Cheers
hojoos

Post by hojoos »

No pics, but loads better than stock. Especially when used with Osram nightbreaker +.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”