[Mk2] [Generic] Coilover settings

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Generic] Coilover settings

Post by Ryan S »

So just ordered a set of Meister R Zeta CRDs today. I'll be going straight to get them set up as soon as they are on. What settings do I need to know? The search function is knackered so no apologies for a new post :lol:

They will be solely for road use with the occasional day at the drag strip.
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Coilover settings

Post by SonicSW20 »

Preload should be set about right out the box, if you're getting it done properly they'll be corner weighting anyway so best just to let them worry about the finer points.

Only "user adjustable" thing after the initial installation and setup is damping rate. This is personal preference, I like mine with more damping on the rear than the front, at an approximate ratio of 1.5x the rate at the rear compared to front, so 12 front 18 rear for example, with 1 being the softest setting.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah thanks for this man. I never even though about corner weighting!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:Ah thanks for this man. I never even though about corner weighting!

Its not 100% required, they should have the right amount of preload or there abouts out the box, so you can just set the heights where you want them and leave it there, it'll still be decent. Corner weighting perfects it.

You will have more camber adjustment now as well, but I think for a road car somewhere around -1.5 degrees all round is plenty.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Will the alignment place have an idea of what this should be? I'm away to do the bushes at the same time. TCB do a full polybush kit for about £80. Anything else worth replacing at the same time?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The outer rear tie rod bearings if they've never been done, when they fail the handling is awful.

IIRC, the coilovers will come with one pair of droplinks, so you'll probably want to replace the other pair too. I can't remember if they come with a front or rear pair though. Reason is one end requires a shorter drop link with coilovers.

Most alignment places won't do corner weighting as it requires the proper scales, most motorsport oriented places will have the kit for this. They should be able to set the height though, can do it yourself with a tape measure and a lot of patience if you have a nice flat bit of concrete to work on. Can always get corner weighting done another time I guess.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah i think you showed me these bearing before. I'll have a nosey. I wouldn't be surprised if they are knackered the way the car's handling.

Thanks for the info dude, Very useful!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Urgh...£50 a side for those bearings off TCB :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Right. Coilovers on, Alignment done. Car feels great! However I do want to set it a bit softer. They are all just set at halfway. How do i set it? Harder at the rear or front? Or do i just set them all the same at the softest setting?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I prefer a bit more damping at the rear than at the front.

I think for a road car, you want it a soft as possible without introducing "bouncing"
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah deffo man. No idea what to set them to though haha!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah deffo man. No idea what to set them to though haha!

Just got to test and find what suits you. IIRC, for general road stuff I have mine set to ~8 front, 11 rear, seems to suit my car well.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So fronts harder? I seen somebody with BCs saying they had them set 3 clicks above softest. Dunno if that meant all of them or what though.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:So fronts harder? I seen somebody with BCs saying they had them set 3 clicks above softest. Dunno if that meant all of them or what though.

Lower number = softer usually, though its not really defined, I should have specified. 8 front = 8 clicks up from softest setting.

Thats just what I found worked on my car, much lower than that the damping wasn't strong enough and it started to feel a little bouncy.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks man, I'll chuck all 4 on softest and see what i think haha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So set all 4 to softest today and my god....The car is soooooo smooth now!! It's glides over rough road. No bounciness whatsoever. I'll most likely just leave them like this. The car is so nice to drive now :)
Rory

Post by Rory »

How low did you go?
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Well the car was on 30mm lowering springs so I just set it to the same. So about 30mm lower than stock.

Return to “Modifications”