My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by Ryan S »

Ah that's reassuring then thanks!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ryan S wrote:Actually had a message from another member suggesting this. A very very common issue at this power level so I'll get the pump wiring sorted too. The whine drives me absolutely mental haha! It is non stop from the moment you turn on the ignition:( what power are you making and what injectors/rail?

I'm making around 360whp at around 1.9bar. I have sard 800cc injector on the OEM railing.

I also use Aquamist water methanol injection
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you using a walbro on stock wiring? I'm hoping to get changed back to a regular return line this weekend. I should be able to see consistency through AFR gauge. That seems to swing about all over the place just now as per the erratic pressure.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

:?:
Last edited by blogsy on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My relay has been done away with :(
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ryan S wrote:you using a walbro on stock wiring? I'm hoping to get changed back to a regular return line this weekend. I should be able to see consistency through AFR gauge. That seems to swing about all over the place just now as per the erratic pressure.

Yes i'm using with stock wiring. Wanted to keep the car as simple as possible i.e. no added variables.

I'm sure the constant feel to the fuel pump is your issues.
For everyone's infomation, my was fluctuating with my Link G4. So i doubt it has anything to do with the ECU
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

You reckon add the relay back in?

I'm on a link g3 but the pump wiring has nothing to do with that.

How did you solve the issue?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you've bypassed the relay it should be running at a constant 12V, which is fine. Verify that though with a multimeter though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

SonicSW20 wrote:If you've bypassed the relay it should be running at a constant 12V, which is fine. Verify that though with a multimeter though.

It was my mate Kris who did the wiring. Relay is deffo bypassed as i spoke to him today. You can here the pump speeding up and slowing down when i turn the steering. That's how much of a swing there is either in pressure and or voltage. blip the throttle and pump picks up. Slows down again on idle (which is most likely normal) but when i turn the steering it slows right down. Chris at Dynatune says he was getting pressure spikes at idle too. So not just inconsistent at the top end. We are gonna re-do the wiring to the pump.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:
SonicSW20 wrote:If you've bypassed the relay it should be running at a constant 12V, which is fine. Verify that though with a multimeter though.

It was my mate Kris who did the wiring. Relay is deffo bypassed as i spoke to him today. You can here the pump speeding up and slowing down when i turn the steering. That's how much of a swing there is either in pressure and or voltage. blip the throttle and pump picks up. Slows down again on idle (which is most likely normal) but when i turn the steering it slows right down. Chris at Dynatune says he was getting pressure spikes at idle too. So not just inconsistent at the top end. We are gonna re-do the wiring to the pump.

It should not slow at idle if you've bypassed the relay. The OEM behaviour is switch to low voltage (~9V) at idle, supply voltage (~12-14V, not sure if pump is regulated to 12V or just takes whatever the electrical system is at?) at all other times, I assume to reduce pump noise.

The stock MR2 electrical system in good condition should have no problem providing a decent, steady output at idle. An audible drop in pump RPM at idle sounds like there's an issue to me. Measure your voltages during that test above at the pump and at the battery. I'm wondering if you have a power supply issue somewhere and the pump wiring is a red herring. I'd certainly rule this out before digging too deep into wiring elsewhere.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah i didn't think that was right either. It also drops when the lights are turned on. Basically anytime i use something with power you can hear the pump slow down. Kris mentioned taking a feed from the the passenger side footwell. Generally beefing up the wires to it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f52s3spzag4de ... o.MOV?dl=0

Here's a video clip. The pump is louder than my bloody engine!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Do you think it sounds like this;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BujLg3gFvn8 ... 7na8jgh461

You'll have to scroll over to the video.

That was my walbro 255... She was relatively quiet when first fitted. And I ensured it was legit using walbros own guide.

She got louder and louder. I started getting misfires/car jerking. . Car soon became undriveable after fault finding saw me replace all ignition components. Had the timing chain off/back on (exhaust cam was one tooth out). And ECU recapped.

Long and short of it the tank was rusty causing the pump to block and unblock constantly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah sounds the same, I did see your tank. My fuel is crystal clear so I don't think it's a bad tank. I hope not anyway!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah sounds the same, I did see your tank. My fuel is crystal clear so I don't think it's a bad tank. I hope not anyway!

Sounds like your all good then. Must just have had bad luck and gotten a whinebro.

How's the car been driving? Any videos of you going for it?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's driving so well, Docile about town but an total monster when you want it to be. No vids yet but I'll be at the drag strip (Crail) on Sunday this week so I'll get the GoPro hooked up :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:It's driving so well, Docile about town but an total monster when you want it to be. No vids yet but I'll be at the drag strip (Crail) on Sunday this week so I'll get the GoPro hooked up :)

awesome dude. i cant even imagine what that sort of power feels like. i enjoy my 225hp in mine :-)

look forward to the videos. enjoy the strip man.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's different, The powerband is shifted up the revs so its probably making a bit less power than stock under 4k then it just hits all at once. It's a lot going on at 1 time. Had a wee play with a 500bhp subaru and he couldn't pull away.

It's intense :)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:It's different, The powerband is shifted up the revs so its probably making a bit less power than stock under 4k then it just hits all at once. It's a lot going on at 1 time. Had a wee play with a 500bhp subaru and he couldn't pull away.

It's intense :)

be interesting to see a race from a set of lights...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It would absolutely obliterate a stock mr2, Despite having slightly lower power under 4k you launch it at about that revs. So you're under 4k for no time at all. 0-60 is way under the 5 second mark. Very very low 4s 😳 0-100 is about 7 seconds.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”