Harness without rollcage

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

Re: Harness without rollcage

Post by mr2nut123 »

I'd also recommend removing a square section of the insulation material behind the carpet when you mount the reel. This will allow for a flusher fit and this way, you don't need to hack your carpet so it looks nice and stock/tidy behind the seats.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Looks sweet.

Got any pics of exact drill location that doesn't hit anything engine bay side? (Hard too see with carpet there).
Be interested to see the location in the engine bay too.

Did you drill boot floor to?
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Lefty1991 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Well...the answer we were all looking for is a here... *drum roll*

It works a treat!! Inertia reel harness in an MR2!

I did a quick video but will add a detailed how to when I get access to a PC and not just on my phone.

https://youtu.be/Qw1hxCwWLjw

Awesome, how do I order mine?

Give a chap called Keane a call on 01424 854499 and tell him that Luke sent you. They may charge a little extra to make the modifications to it as they get them pre-made from their parent company in the US.

Things you'll need:

2x Grade 8 bolts.
4 x Spreader plates. (2 x 65mm and 2 x 55mm).
1 x 12mm metal drill bit and drill.
Socket set with various ends between 10-15mm.

I'd recommend 2 inch bolts so that you can allow the spreader plate to grip the thread when going through the firewall. It's plenty long enough but it's hard to push through with the firewall spongy material on your own. This bit is easier with 2 people unless you have long arms and can reach to the inside and outside firewall at the same time.

The reason I advise 55mm spreader plates for the inertia reel, is to keep the angle of the belt as horizontal as possible. I found out the hard way that 65mm plates don't quite slide under the hinge of the engine lid. I'll post pics soon to help better describe this later.

Also, ensure that you get your bolts from a reputable place and not eBay. Grade 5 bolts are often classed as 8.8 which is very confusing. I'd recommend here: http://www.imperialnutsandbolts.com/fas ... _1269.html

Cheers, some photos would be great as I'm not sure why you need four spreader plates.
Cheers for being the Guinea pig
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:
Cheers, some photos would be great as I'm not sure why you need four spreader plates.
Cheers for being the Guinea pig

You need one spreader plate for the firewall and one for the inner belt on each side. The lap belt section is too long to be tight, even at the sliders shortest length when connected to the stock rails eyebolt.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

jimGTS wrote:Looks sweet.

Got any pics of exact drill location that doesn't hit anything engine bay side? (Hard too see with carpet there).
Be interested to see the location in the engine bay too.

Did you drill boot floor to?

I'll take the carpet off again and measure the distance to the centre of the bolt when I have some spare time :-)

Just two holes to drill on each side. One in the floor and the main one for the reel through the firewall.

I'll try upload a pic on my mobile brb..
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Okay so for the shoulder straps you only need the 2 x 55mm plates
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

OK so here's a pic of the drivers side main hole. Ignore the test hole :wink:

It needs to be exactly in the middle of the engine mount posts as you'll see on the second photo..

Where the hole comes out, had to shave a little off the sides of my 65mm spreader plates, hence my recommendation for 55mm plates. You COULD just drill the hole 5mm lower but I wanted to have the angle on the belt as horizontal as possible.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Pics as promised :thumleft:

Here's where you need to drill the inner floor bolts. The included bolts are perfect for these as they have a spacer and smooth bolt shaft near the top. This allows for the buckle to spin freely, whilst at full tightness:

Here's a few pics of the reel mounted behind the seat. Looks almost factory :)

Without cover just after tightening the main bolt:

Just after adding the cover:

Quick side pic showing the angle of the belt. Very minimal, about 10degrees I'd say:

On the outside, simply use the stock mounting point, and keep your stock belt on the same bolt too just incase you need it:

Ta-daaaaa
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Had to give it a clean and go get a few piccies at our local Yorkshire view :)

I think they really finish off the bucket seats, and they match the interior red stitching and speedo colour nicely. :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:Okay so for the shoulder straps you only need the 2 x 55mm plates

That's correct btw :)
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work mate, car's looking great btw :thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Lefty1991 wrote:Okay so for the shoulder straps you only need the 2 x 55mm plates

Cheers,
Just out of curiosity why didn't you use the existing bolt on the left hand side where the centre console runs?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Cheers,
Just out of curiosity why didn't you use the existing bolt on the left hand side where the centre console runs?

I took some advice from Ashley on here about that one. Apparently, it's not through the triple skin so is quite weak. What is that stud for anyway? I've always wondered! :-k
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

craig wrote:Nice work mate, car's looking great btw :thumleft:

Cheers dude! I'm very happy with it now. I'm like you, in that I'm happy with my 300hp now. Just a nice road power without that feeling of 'when is it going to break' when you're running 400+ :wink:
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I've had harnesses and a rear/full cage in lots of my cars.

I always kept the standard belts as well so I had the choice.

Just having harnesses and no belts is a real pain in the ar$e for reasons already stated.

I have harnesses set up with the roller inertia thing from normal seat belts but for the life of me I can't remember where!

That would be the perfect set up for me if possible, full harness but with the ability to reach everything in the car, lean forward at junctions etc. But also the chance of getting your dome out the way if you roll it and don't have a cage.

Who makes cages for the MR2 anyway?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

So when I installed the second harness fully last night, I took some measurements for the rear placement of the reel guys.

I also decided to reinforce the reels mount. It was already sufficient, but I noticed that the metal was very slightly bent from the tensions on the rear firewall. I simply used some 4mm thick square washer plates from Wickes. The ones they had in were literally perfect fitment (50mm) so dropped right into the gap where you put the bolt in! :thumleft:

Over cautious..? Maybe, but I know that it's 100% safe now.

p.s. Always drill a small pilot hole first when doing this, and check placement of the spreader plate in the engine bay. You'll need a 12mm metal drill bit for a perfect sized hole for the 7/16 bolt btw.

Simply reverse the procedure for the drivers side and they'll line up nicely to the centre of the seats, and the spreader plate will perfectly fit between the engine lid mounts behind the firewall so hidden away.
Last edited by mr2nut123 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote:

That would be the perfect set up for me if possible, full harness but with the ability to reach everything in the car, lean forward at junctions etc. But also the chance of getting your dome out the way if you roll it and don't have a cage.

That's exactly what I have now with these beauties! They're brilliant. I can easily reach tickets at machines and just about get to the glove box. The main thing is just CD player and ticket machines, who needs a glove box when you have a single DIN tray in the dash anyway :wink:
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Where did you get the reelers?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Give a chap called Keane a call on 01424 854499 and tell him that Luke sent you.

:wink:
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I've had harnesses in most of my cars and at least a rear cage sometimes a full cage.

Yes it's a real ballache as you can't reach feck all and looking for oncoming traffic can be pita as well obviously.

But I'm eventually going to get a pair of the inertia belts as I reckon this is the best if both worlds.

I'm going to price up a custom rear cage as well from stainless steel creations possibly with door ads if possible.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”