My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by Ryan S »

Got my bumper back tonight. Good color match compared to the 4 year old paint on the fuel flap.
Draven

Post by Draven »

nice job :) shiny.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah very pleased with it! Just playing the waiting game now while the car's finished off. Nothing new there though ha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Big brake kit fitted.

CC pre rad and pump fitted.

Baldurbus

Post by Baldurbus »

Hi,

I'm curious..what your engine bay looks like now? Any pics? Thanks
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Well it's all been ripped apart again so all the stock parts have gone. No pics yet but my mate Kris is hoping to have the car finished in the next few weeks. Hoping to have Russ Paton have a look at the map too. Make any little tweaks needed. I'll get pics up as soon as it's done. The only part that was lect stock was the exhaust manifold but I picked up a cheap toyosports one. It'll probably warp, It'll probably crack but I just simply couldn't afford (read justify) anything else!

The border bumper idea was utterly hopeless as unkowningly magic beans and me used different arch extensions. So a set the same as his ordered up and the car will be going for a respray too.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ryan you'll make more power on a stock manifold than that crap. One seen it on the Dyno myself.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I thought the same however, When kris had his corolla mapped he was told there was heat build up in the manifold. I'll be keeping hold of my stock manifold anyway so if i do have issues i can chuck it back on. What manifold did you use Andy?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Stock buddy. If you're going to change then go full face (£££££) but the stock ones are easily able to do 500+.

I saw Jon put one on his 5s build between mapping and it killed the torque.... And later cracked lol.

EGT is caused by a few things, are you running meth? That's by far and a mile it's my biggest recommendation. Cheap to install for mapping in with safety, keeps iat down etc.

Shane has it mapped on his 3s gt35 build and he has sensors on each manifold branch, he could tell you the exact difference if any will other meth on and off
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Aw I'll maybe just go back to the stock one. I'm not using meth no, I may install it after winter but for now I'm gonna just use the map I have (albeit tweaked a little) then have it mapped properly next year once it's run in. The current map makes 380whp but I'll only be running low boost.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

This was the engine bay beforeI stopped working on the car. This inlet and turbo are back on it now. The date of completion is (fingers crossed) 3 weekends from now. The pre rad and pump are fitted as well as the walbro, Downpipe is done. Just need to get tabs welded onto CC core and get that mounted in the bay. Really not a lot left to do. Deciding to go all stock bits then changing my mind has added a fair bit of time to it. Having Kris doing the work has deffo eased some stress. My business is 7 days a week at the moment. Hoping the respray doesn't hold it up too much.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Get some hammerite on that crash bar. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Draven wrote:Get some hammerite on that crash bar. :thumleft:

I know it's horrid eh! I did the subframe. When car goes off road in winter I'm gonna attack all the suspension parts with hammerite.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Really not a lot left to do now. Hopefully be taking it for MoT next week!!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Looks amazing mate. Good luck for the mot :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers mate. Once it's mot'd I'll try and get some miles on it then get it painted again. The guy who did my last paint job (as good as it is) has blended the kit in and the sills need repaired. Meaning i have to ruin quite a bit of paintwork getting them off :(
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Now you're talking! Looking good 8)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Hopefully collecting it this weekend!! MoT on Monday. Put 1000 miles on it then get it in for painting. I've managed to get the flared arches that match the border bumper so less work than cutting and fitting new ones. Gonna go for a brighter (less gold looking) pearl yellow. I'll be using it as it is for now though :)
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

looks good mate.

so numbers if you wish

1.6bar it made 490 bhp, with no meth
2.0 bar with meth made the same power but sooner. my EGT sensors (50mm away from head read on average 120 degrees lower then no meth. I was seeing 600 degrees on the meth map, i think it might have been using a bit to much meth possibly hence the same power levels. i expect a Single EGT 200mm away from the turbo would probably read 500/550 degrees.

what it did allow was for my trimming to be increased without risk.

Also when this was on the motec previously i was seeing 960 degrees at 2.1 bar no meth. so 300 degrees different between the maps with the link G4
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Aw man, 480bhp is the figure I'm after so id does seem within grasp! I just have stock cams but I do have a ported and polished head. Turbo is good for 525bhp. Fingers crossed!! Having said that, whatever the car makes is what it makes, I won't be chasing figures or changing any parts (maybe just the manifold) just to get the figure I want :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”