www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Con rods!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bear87

Feedback Score: 1

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Con rods!! Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Evening chaps

Its been a while since ive been on here as been waiting patiently for my engine to be built on the cheap by family member. Good news all is well and the engine is almost ready to go.

I am aiming for 450-500hp eventually and currently i have standard rods that are shot and peened. I think these would be pushing there luck at this power. Can anyone recommend a set? Ive struggled to get max hp numbers for some online. Also is the arp bolt upgrade worthwhile under 500 hp?

Many thanks as always

Brad
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 18

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

No need for rods. Proven to take over 600bhp. Rod bolts are up to your but you’ll need to press the old ones out. For 500bhp I wouldn’t bother with them [thumleft]

www.straitupstudios.co.uk
Hez

Feedback Score: 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Plenty of big HP builds out there with standard rods and standard rod bolts (500hp+), stick some forged pistons in there 86mm if your block allows it and a MLS headgasket with ARP head studs and you will be good to go [thumleft]
Bear87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks guys.

Engine just been re sleeved and has 86mm JE forged pistons among other goodies.

So i will save myself the expense of rods for now. Even better if i dont have to upgrade the bolts. I cant find any cases of the oem bolts failing which is promising.

[thumleft]
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Keep us posted. I don’t know much about sleeving the 3s.
Bear87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ryan S wrote:
Keep us posted. I don’t know much about sleeving the 3s.

I will do. Will hopefully do a build post at some point. Been a long term project limited by funds. Hopefully now can move along at some speed!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yeah it’s not easy mate. 4 year mine has been off the road. Admittedly I did nothing for two of them!
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

If you havent put it back together, i'd strongly look into not using a sleeved block.

They never work on the 3S and i've only heard of 1-2 not failing.

Your best bet is to source a 98 NA block with the strengthened water pump corner and denser material and stick to 86mm pistons.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

androo007 wrote:
If you havent put it back together, i'd strongly look into not using a sleeved block.

Your best bet is to source a 98 NA block with the strengthened water pump corner and denser material and stick to 86mm pistons.

I didn’t wanna be the one to bring this up but yeah. I’ve also never heard of a successful sleeved 3sgte [Sad]
Bear87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

androo007 wrote:

Thanks for your advice guys. I have spoken with my tuner and he has also had mixed results. Fortunately i have another block which we are now using. Looked rough on the outside but turns out to be perfect on the inside! Best news is one of the guys at the shop wants the sleeved block for his gt4 so it didnt end up costing me anything [thumleft]
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

good news man! Yeah the outside can be churched up no bother. It's the bores you're worried about. Great stuff mate!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: