New OEM Toyota springs? What are the other options?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

New OEM Toyota springs? What are the other options?

Post by HighwayStar »

Hi all.

Long time since I've posted here but now the 'new' 2 is at that point it needs a front suspension refresh.

So far I've already got some front TRD topmounts from Fensport and can still get genuine Toyota front struts from TCB for about £75 a side but where can I find OEM Toyota springs?

I've been told by TCB and my local Toyota parts dept. that Toyota no longer produce them (so why continue making struts without making the springs to match?) so if that's true what are my other options?

It seems to be only lowering springs I can find but in the past I've found the Teins too low and harsh for me (at least now I'm getting older ... and likewise the Fensport options) besides I'm not sure they suit a standard strut.

The only 'standard' spring I can find is an unbranded 'standard' spring from TCB. Trevor tells me they've sold loads so has anybody here run these? Any reports or issues or of course any other options I should consider?

Any thoughts, help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Likewise can anyone here confirm that the front top mounts are the same through all the revs and it's the rears that changed with the new subframe on Rev2s?

Cheers R.
Last edited by HighwayStar on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: New OEM Toyota springs? What are the other options?

Post by Ryan S »

Hi mate, Nice to see you're still in a mr2!! Mine has apex springs on it. Not too low and not too harsh.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks Ryan and nice to see you're still about as well fella.

Come July this year it'll be 20 years with a Mk2 Rev1 as my daily driver!

Anyway back to the topic ... where can you find the Apex springs nowadays? Are they a Demon Tweeks job? Do you have pics of yours Ryan... before and after ideally but just as an idea of ride height. Did you go to them straight from stock springs and are you running them with stock struts?

Meanwhile any other options people know about? Anyone with experience of the TCB springs?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mine were on the car when I bought it. It's stock inserts yeah. It feels the same as my old rev3 felt. To me I can't tell the difference between them and stock other than the car looking a bit lower. I'll see if i can find out where to get a set. There's nothing special about them, Just a cheap lowering spring as far as I know!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Anybody else?

Surely somebody here is running different springs with the standard shocks?

Nobody tried the TCB springs?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i have what are apparently TOM's springs on mine, about a 10mm drop (rev3 mind) sitting on yellow Bilsteins. Handled pretty good :thumleft: Suspension next to be removed before car goes to scrap yard :cry: :pale:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks guys.

Can anyone tell me exactly what my current options are though...?

I need springs to go with new OEM struts that I can actually go out or online and buy this week.

Other than the TCB version of the 'standard spring' and some H&Rs which lower just a little available though Demon Tweeks what is still actually available to buy out there? Teins and both Fensport options too harsh and wouldn't go well with stock struts anyway....
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

have you actually bought the new front struts and only need springs? I found the H&R lowering springs dropped my car massively and I didn't like it that low hence I changed to the TOM's which do drop only a little (again rev3)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Not yet.

I've got the TRD top mounts and was planing on OEM struts & springs originally before I found the springs are n/a.

I think my only other strut option are Black Billies then it's coilovers.

I'm happy as is with handling, ride and height (positively lower than my first white rev1) so was going the same route to keep originality (it's all original now). Thinking I'll go with Trevors 'TCB' oem replacements 'cos frankly I can't find Apex or Toms.

It's all drops on Teins, Fensports, H&Rs etc. as far as I can see.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i have complete set of yellow B6 Bilsteins with 10k miles on them fitted with the TOM's springs. They are still attached to the car but will be coming off this week. Not OEM black but still pretty OEM just up-rated. Located Edinburgh. Might cost a bit to post, I'd need to look into that.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks for the thought but I've got my own old yellow billies and tein s-techs off my old car but have decided not to fit them. Yellow billies really need a lower spring.

I want to stay OEM (other than the springs which I can't help) so it's looking like the TCB springs
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

completely understand :) good luck
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

What about eibachs? iirc they are progressive springs with not too harsh a springrate, plus I remember everyone complaining that they weren't much lower than std rev3 height.

MR2 ben sells an OEM spec spring made by sachs who are a big german oem on par with billstein.

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/168
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/categories/55

Loads of options on mr2 ben site. Looks like he does a stock height spring too.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Are you sure you need new springs?

I have gone through many shocks on rev3 turbos and never needed springs. The first one did around 205 000 miles on original springs. (Did the top mounts once).
Current can has done around 165 000 miles on original springs and top mounts, and I have changed all the shocks once.

Yes the shocks will wear out on our crappy roads and the car will feel great with just new shocks.

I would not lower an mr2 as I sometimes catch the underside on some of the bigger speed bumps or accessing parking areas with a steeper ramp. (I have that problem visiting parents house as council keep laying tarmac over the access path and back lane creating a bigger drop into their car park space).
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

To be honest no.

The top mounts have gone and do need changing and since I haven't got the room or tools to do stuff myself (nor the skill sets) whilst the garage are getting to them I'm thinking what else could benefit from being changed while they're there.

Both springs and strut casings are very very corroded... maybe they'll last another 100,000 miles but if they need changing AFTER I've had the top mounts done it's the same labour costs all over again. My old white 2 finally broke a spring around 115,000 miles and this new one only has 72k on it so far

Yes the new struts, dust covers and springs will add about £300 to the cost but with Labour at about 2/3 of that I think it makes sense to refresh the lot rather than do it piecemeal. I'll perhaps then do the rear suspension next year...

Currently other than the lock to lock 'clonking' and a slight vibration through the wheel from the top mounts on certain surfaces at speed the suspension actually feels completely fine... great in fact.
Baldurbus

Post by Baldurbus »

Ryan S wrote:

Loads of options on mr2 ben site. Looks like he does a stock height spring too.

He is quite expensive! There are other seller that sell same brands for less.

I've been buying from this guy.. spring-loaded-suspension

Apex Lowering Spring Kit -30mm for Toyota MR2 Mk2 1990-1999 (SW20)

For £123.99 free shipping to UK
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

I've got the -40mm Pi Springs now on my SW20 and they are a decent ride. Firm, yet not crashy at the same time.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”