www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Just bought a Shed! * Pictures added!*
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rory

Feedback Score: 6

1996 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

My 96 doesn’t have abs.
chooch

Feedback Score: 0

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Rory wrote:
My 96 doesn’t have abs.

Thanks, that's good to know!
craig

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

chooch wrote:
Should my car have ABS or not? It's a 96 UK car as above, there is no light on the dash and the wheels lock up when you hit the brakes! I just thought a car of this age would have it...

You'll be able to tell if it has ABS by looking under the bonnet. Should be ABS unit on left (as you're looking at the car from the front).
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

chooch wrote:
Should my car have ABS or not? It's a 96 UK car as above, there is no light on the dash and the wheels lock up when you hit the brakes! I just thought a car of this age would have it...

could be a late rev3. all the lights have had work so hard to say if it's a 3 or a 4. got a pic of the engine? that'll tell us. look for the egr valve.

Both my rev4 cars have abs, but one of them has cloth seats. They both had airbag steering wheels too.

Unless you want to get welding and want a big project, then it's not worth saving sadly
chooch

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi,

Does this help?

I have an airbag on the steering wheel. The car has leather trim on the doors, which makes me think that the seat had seen better days and got swapped out...

btw. this is my old MR2 from around 2005...
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That MOT history is great!

Love the comment about it being a sixteen year old car blah blah...

Obviously a friendly tester as it always failed emissions... then passed... then failed... then passed.... haha
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That's a rev4 engine, can see the EGR setup.
chooch

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

pbmr2 wrote:
That's a rev4 engine, can see the EGR setup.

That's great thanks! Maybe I should invest in an EGR blanking plate, to free up some ponies and eliminate any potential issues...

I got a shot under the bonnet, am I right thinking that this is an ABS pump?

cheers,

Ewan
MartinF

Feedback Score: 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yes, that is an ABS pump
chooch

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So after driving the car in the rain and parking it out in the rain, it wouldn't start last week. Thankfully I managed to get it started at weekend and have it inside now.

upon inspection I found the boot flooded.

I can only guess that it has been coming from the wheel arch where there is a much bigger gaping hole than expected!

Could this have played havoc with the ECU? it seemed dry...
craig

Feedback Score: 141

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Possibly, due to moisture getting inside it. That's a big hole!! [Surprised]
Draven

Feedback Score: 43

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

That is a lot of fails. it failed pretty much every year.

Good luck sorting it.
pbmr2
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Normally the coil gets cracks in it and then water finds it's way in. would be my first guess.
chooch

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
That is a lot of fails. it failed pretty much every year.

Good luck sorting it.

No plans to sort it, current plan is to drive until MOT expires, then break for spares, hopefully gather enough funds to cover expense of car and maybe buy another...

pbmr2 wrote:
Normally the coil gets cracks in it and then water finds it's way in. would be my first guess.

Thanks, coil was fine, think it was condensation upsetting the ECU or something else.
chooch

1989 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well I took it out in the snow and managed to survive! It developed a fault with the steering (possibly due to the cold) and wanted to go sideways on the straights! So I took the car to my local garage and the steering rack is fubar! It's as if the rack and pinion are skipping... However surprisingly they said the car is fairly solid and would only take a couple hours welding to fix the wheel wells [Shocked]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: