My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gmac90

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by gmac90 »

Manage to get much done over the weekend? Want to see this on the road
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

No been working all weekend mate. Doing all the work on my driveway so waiting on the cold going away :( I have arranged for Fensport to do the mapping and fit my fuel pump once I have the engine run in though so that's pretty exciting!
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Impressive! :thumleft: I hope you can drive and enjoy this car like it should shortly.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I deffo will, It's going away to Kris' garage to get finished off next week. I've simply not been able to find the time with running my business (not had a proper day off in about 4 months) and I cannot watch another summer pass and it not be on the road! I've decided just to get him to do everything the car needs including fitting the big turbo, side mount inlet and cc system. So when i get the car back in a few weeks it will just be a case of doin my 1000 mile run in then have it mapped!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Keep going Ryan be great to see it on the road, i might be up your way next month i will try to work it to get your way, got to have a bash in the studio

Got to get mine re done after the *&^%&&^$^%$ that's screwed it up
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

wilkie senior wrote:Keep going Ryan be great to see it on the road, i might be up your way next month i will try to work it to get your way, got to have a bash in the studio

Got to get mine re done after the *&^%&&^$^%$ that's screwed it up

Just let me know when mate, I'll make sure I'm around :D
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

It has certainly been a long haul, 4 odd years.... Originally a budget 400 whp option, what kind of costs had this build actually been ? Then adding the labour that you have mostly done yourself ?

Congratulations on your recent engagement and newborn son Btw dude, very happy things are all starting to come together for you, been an eventful few years or what ??? Super happy for you :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it's deffo been eventful Martin haha! Yeah it did start off as a budget(ish) build I guess. There's easily £20k plus in it at this point. There's nothing in the engine bay that hasn't been changed now. Actually only the exhaust manifold is the only part I've not changed. As I said Kris will be fitting my massive side feed inlet and chargecooler now too so other than the block and exhaust mani everything else is aftermarket. Even the head has been ported and polished. I've been through 2 turbos already and haven't even driven it! The first turbo was a relatively new design when i bought it and cost around £2k to import. You can pick them up now for about £1000 all in (I'm sure I've actually seen them cheaper). I've been through two link ecus (due to cash flow problem i had to sell the g4). Moving the car twice I've lost soooo many wee stock parts...Nuts, bolts etc. My parents dying really did halt any momentum I had going with the build. I'm happy the car's going away as the last lot of work I've done on my driveway and it's totally freezing weather just now ha!
as for labour costs I've no idea what they would have been. Couple of grand maybe? That being said I was told just the other day that a few wee things olus mapping on another well known car on here was £3k. So god inly knows!

Thanks mate that's much appreciated, The wee man's amazing and so's my missus :)
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Where is Kris garage just out of interest if hes kinda close to me ? Would love to see what hes getting up to
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's just a wee personal garage. He's doing my car at his house not far from Erroll :) Car's going away on Wednesday!!

Oddly enough though he's just made a wee facebook page that you can check out here:

https://facebook.com/Tayside-auto-elect ... 043250217/
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Perfect he could be a really handy guy to know when comes to auto electrics ive got basic knowladge but to have someone who knows all about it it somthing else.
Last edited by gmac90 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

He will do man yeah! His work is top notch! He's worked on some pretty fancy stuff, Not just limited to 3sgte's!
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Does he have ramps etc at his place ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

He has a wee garage with a 4 poster yeah. If you use facebook fire me a pm to your page and I'll add you. I'll get you in touch with him. Or PM me your number.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So that's the car away to be finished! Quite excited! The car will have everything done to it when it comes back so will just need run in (shookdown) then I can go have it mapped. I absolutely wanged the bumper getting it off the truck. I've never truly liked the the Abflug lip and always wanted a border fron end. I never knew how it would work with my wide arches until I seen Magic Beans do it with his a few years back. As luck (or fate) would have it I managed to get that exact bumper so it already has the wee arch bits blended in. I'm very happy with this! The bumpers away to the paint shop now so hopefully it's an okayish match being pearl. I'm toying with getting the car painted again this winter anyway so I'm not too fussed.

Anyway, Excited for getting the car back in a few weeks :)
gmac90

Post by gmac90 »

Awesome news buddy hopefully wont be too long before you get it back.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah fingers crossed mate!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Bumper painter. Very good colour match as well.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Looks good, Remember to keep away from speed bumps and always reverse if parking towards a kerb, these border bumpers are low.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin F wrote:Looks good, Remember to keep away from speed bumps and always reverse if parking towards a kerb, these border bumpers are low.

Yeah deffo, The abflug wasn't too bad but I'll deffo keep this in mind!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”