Dan's Cosmo Blue, REV 5 T-Bar Turbo, YVS Built, Fensport Tuned *sold*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Re: Dan's Cosmo Blue, REV 5 T-Bar Turbo, YVS Built, Fensport Tuned *sold*

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:
2barGee wrote:
Ryan S wrote:

you are kidding man!! I'm so tempted to just leave mine on a sidemount, would save sooo much hassle!

What side mount have you got? Going off what Si at YVS has said the greddy one is very good, and it works very well on my setup / turbo etc.

just an ebay one. I'd be keen to see intake temps with it. I could sell my CC setup though and buy a decent one.

I know from speaking with Si and seeing most of his builds that he's very picky with what parts to use. For example all of his big power builds are running the full race manifolds and the rare group A one mine is running. The only sidemount he uses are the greddy ones as they are very efficient and have seen good results on other builds and this one.

If your going for decent power i'd assume you'll need something better but it would be interesting to see how far the ebay one will go.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

na i never intended to run any power through the ebay intercooler at all. it was only ever meant for me to get the car driveable for running in. I have a frozen boost CC core with PWR prerad and pump. It's just such a big hassle fitting it all that if there is an option to run my 480bhp goal on a sidemount, I would muuuuch rather do that. Less stuff to go wrong too.

Edit: apologies for hijacking this man. Feel free to get it back on topic!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:na i never intended to run any power through the ebay intercooler at all. it was only ever meant for me to get the car driveable for running in. I have a frozen boost CC core with PWR prerad and pump. It's just such a big hassle fitting it all that if there is an option to run my 480bhp goal on a sidemount, I would muuuuch rather do that. Less stuff to go wrong too.

Edit: apologies for hijacking this man. Feel free to get it back on topic!

On most of my other MR2s I've always gone done the cc route as I wanted to keep the use of the boot. But yes they are a hassle fitting and it's got to be done right for them to work. Plus I always found they always need topping up.

I guess it depends on your turbo and how it works with the side mount if you did get your hands on a greddy one :-k
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My turbo is is the Borg Warner s252sx-e. I have no idea how it'll work on an mr2 but i do know EMS Power (now defunct) used this turbo as part of their kit for an mr2 so i assume it's good. Depends on how hot it blows. I think water/meth injection may be easier to install than a chargecooler and be more effective.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Simon also built mine before i got rid last year, pretty much same spec as above .
GT3082R and it was mapped to 2.0 bar on a greddy side mount w/o water injection then wound back to 1.8 and ran very well with it.

Worth trying it to keep costs down and it might just surprise you. Plenty of people will put it down but most of them wont have even tried mapping with one.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

So after i had sorted the seating and steering wheel set up to a comfortable position i thought what better way to test everything out........ so i went and booked a track day at ..........

Image2019-01-16_03-07-50 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

I was a bit worried about the noise limits as this set up runs an external wastegate and Blyton Park is a 95db drive by limit!!!
The good news though was I know where the sound monitor was so i took it steady past that in the morning sessions.....then just before lunch i gave it full beans and i still had no issues which is good to know. :twisted:

I had changed the boost trim levels the week before on a friends computer down to 1.5bar so i had chance to get used to the car and the set up on track, also the fact that anything over 1.5 bar and the Nankangs start to struggle. I've now found a PC that supports the old school motec software so i'll be able to change the boost levels at track now!

The car was perfect all day and i had no issues. I don't really like the brakes...porterfields pads don't have great stopping power so don't give you that much confidence. I'm going to get some carbotech XP8s bought asap.
The tyres as expected weren't the best, but ok. Next track day i'll have some R888Rs fitted.
I kept changing the tyre pressures and damper settings on the BC coilovers throughout the day to see what worked well for my driving style. I found that even just a few clicks harder at the rear made the back end very drifty which was great fun but obviously not the best for times. :lol:

I will add a video of a few moments and a spin i had :whistle:
Here are a few more pictures.

Image2019-01-16_03-12-56 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

Image2019-01-16_03-09-02 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

You might notice a few mods added for the track day in the form of the BGW and canards.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Video of a few moments and a spin :twisted: .........better tyres and brakes coming soon

https://flic.kr/p/2efxjWK
Last edited by 2barGee on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Awesome man!!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Nice footage, which porterfield compound did you go with? The R4-S isn't really a full on track pad and I managed to kill a set in one day.

Your steering wheel position is so high that it looks like yer driving a bus haha :lol: are you pretty tall?

Also where did you get the wing risers from? I mean I know it won't make any difference but I fancy doing that to mine.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Race Idiot wrote:Nice footage, which porterfield compound did you go with? The R4-S isn't really a full on track pad and I managed to kill a set in one day.

Your steering wheel position is so high that it looks like yer driving a bus haha :lol: are you pretty tall?

Also where did you get the wing risers from? I mean I know it won't make any difference but I fancy doing that to mine.

The car came fitted with the R4-S. I really don't rate them at all. Feel awful when cold as well. Cannot wait to get the carbotechs fitted, so much better.

I'm 6ft 4 so the steering wheel needs to be on the high side so i can heal and toe.......does look a bit strange in the video to be fair
:lol:

The risers where made by a company up north somewhere i'll try and find out where.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I made 431bhp on a PP smic Surrey rolling road
800cc sard
1.9bar
GTX Gen II 3076
Aquamist on high boost, 380bhp went water meth is off (Low boost)

Intake temps are around mid 20s after along blast winter
and 30s in summer
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Odin_S wrote:I made 431bhp on a PP smic Surrey rolling road
800cc sard
1.9bar
GTX Gen II 3076

and 30s in summer

Greddy , PP and those spearco ones are all very good sidemounts.

What boost do you run to achieve the 380bhp?
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

2barGee wrote:
Odin_S wrote:I made 431bhp on a PP smic Surrey rolling road
800cc sard
1.9bar
GTX Gen II 3076

and 30s in summer

Greddy , PP and those spearco ones are all very good sidemounts.

What boost do you run to achieve the 380bhp?

Approx 1.6 1.7 bar
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So tempted to just stay on a decent sidemount. I'd have to run silly piping to my aftermarket intake manifold though... :(
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ryan S wrote:So tempted to just stay on a decent sidemount. I'd have to run silly piping to my aftermarket intake manifold though... :(

Keep it simple, a great saying. If you do lots of track days a CC would make more sense SMIC with water methanol really makes a case for itself.

My intake temps rarely go above 35°c even in those record temps last summer.

I just like the added detonation protection running with meth 50/50
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

So after the track day at Blyton Park i parked the car up for winter, and proceeded to buy new brakes (carbotechs XP8) and some 15inc Toyo R888R to fit over some stock rims i have.
My aim was to get all these fitted over the winter ready for next year.

I started the car after about 2-3 weeks of it being sat and drove it around the block to get all the crap off the brakes etc. I don't have a garage so all my cars are outside all year, no ideal but i keep them clean etc.
I then left the car around 3-4 weeks before going to start it again.............the car started but then a huge squeal came from the the alternator followed by a pretty loud clunk!! The car then would not start.

On further inspection the alternator was well and truly seized!!!
I tried a few other things to attempt to get the car started but to no avail.
I called YVS and it was decided that i get the car up to them for it to be checked out as the engine would not turn over as it should.

The issue was found to be a faulty AEM fuel pressure regulator, which was less than a year old! It had basically pumped the entire engine full of fuel! And i mean full of fuel! Si said he had never seen anything like it before!!
I quickly sourced a different FPR and one that wasn't a AEM model!!
So a new aeromotive FPR was fitted along with a new alternator and some fresh Fuchs oil as the other was full of fuel, and shes back on the road!!!

You could say that i'm lucky the FPR shat itself when the car was just ticking over and the car just cut out....if i'd be driving at any decent speed it could have hydrolocked and killed the engine! :shock:
A big thanks to YVS for finding out the issues quickly and fitting all the new parts again nice and quickly!

Quick road test and a cheeky picture to make sure everything is working ok..... .......... Image2019-01-24_04-03-10 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

that is lucky mate, could have done real damage there! This is the second time in a month I've heard about an AEm FPr failing :o
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

I asked fensport to install a fuel pressure sensor today that fits into the fuel pressure regulator. Hoping to have an alarm signal if something goes strange. Also could show early warning if my pump starts to under perform, tho the AFR might show this sooner.

Car looks great by the way. Nice a low.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shane34 wrote:I asked fensport to install a fuel pressure sensor today that fits into the fuel pressure regulator. Hoping to have an alarm signal if something goes strange. Also could show early warning if my pump starts to under perform, tho the AFR might show this sooner.

Car looks great by the way. Nice a low.

AFR would be better. Surely any aftermarket ECU could go into limp mode upon detection of lean AFR?
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Already got this as well.

Return to “Member Profiles”