[Mk2] [Turbo] Temp Guuges not working

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

[Mk2] [Turbo] Temp Guuges not working

Post by Ralliart »

So the more I start to use my car the more issues I seem to come across.

Other than the misfire which I am hoping to get sorted this weekend my temp gauge does not move at all. The car is also fitted with an aftermarket temp gauge and that also doesnt either.

The radiator fans cut in and out when its reaching temperature so no issues there its just the needle not moving.

I dod check [what i think] was the temp sensor and it is getting power to there. I was going to replace this however the one on my car seems to be different to a standard one? The end where the plug sits is different to a standard item also.

any ideas?
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Temp Guuges not working

Post by SonicSW20 »

The car has 2 temperature sensors in the coolant tree on the transmission side of the engine. The one with the 2 wire plug on it is the ECU coolant temperature sensor, and as the name suggests it tells the ECU what the coolant temperature is and the ECU uses that for cold fuelling etc.

The gauge on the dash is driven from a separate sensor and is a 1 wire plug - 83420-16040 - http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/mr ... uter#83420

Quite possible this sensor is dead, or the wire for it is damaged.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Much appreciated. :thumleft:

The gauge sensor you mention is the one I was checking on my car, The plug going into it looks like someone has done a DIY on it. Will investigate further this weekend.

Out of curiosity is the sensor from a Rev5 NA the same as a Rev3 turbo [its just I have access to a breaker rev5 na]
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The plug looking a bit wonky does suggest someones been messing around with it! Well worth checking that and checking for continuity to the gauge. And yes, same on Gen3 3SGE NA cars.

Return to “Electrical”