Rear firewall thickness

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Rear firewall thickness

Post by Ryan S »

How thick is the rear firewall? Away to fit harnesses so need to drill through for the spreader plates.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: Rear firewall thickness

Post by Jaspa »

I don't know exactly but not very. You won't have much problem drilling through from the cabin into the engine bay.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

it's about the same as the rest of the floorpan. spreader plates would be a must.

If you are doing this to a road car then think twice, fixed harnesses are a hassle in the real world. Ticket machines, reaching for things, seeing out at odd junctions and constantly adjusting the harnesses for passengers.

each to their own though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers lads, The bolts i have should be fine then, Yeah i have FIA approved spreader plates. It's for a road car yeah haha, I've had harnesses in an Mr2 before, I loved them :)
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

It's been a while since I did this in my Turbo, but I seem to remember that the part of the firewall that I drilled through to keep the shoulder straps close to horizontal was made up of several layers, making it a bit more substantial than the bulk of the floor pan. I've a feeling I also used slightly longer bolts, but I can't be sure.

If you drill through the floor pan to create an inboard lap strap fixing point, it's best to take it as close to the tunnel as you can where the floor pan is thicker due to the way it's constructed. I used an FIA approved rectangular spreader plate rather than the square one, as I found that easier to keep within the thicker floor pan area.

Paul
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks for that Paul. I do only have square spreaders

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”